I think the word is...condescension !!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012

I still stand by those words.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #22 TinMan, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

No need to be rude, ThomasMann! The post you quoted was in reply to Kakihara_ who's been banned from the site in the mean time and all his posts have been deleted, because of his attitude and his condescension. Too bad you missed out his trolling of this thread, where he was very rude to us, who use Linux... So, I'm afraid you've jumped to conclusion here... But, since you imply I'm too stupid to understand, please - enlighten me!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    line so totally stolen :D

4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @TinMan: Maybe He thought you wuz a 'Murrican. :D

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012

@bear_aussie: Stolen, but very close to the truth. :)

6. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009

@Michaela Joy: Thanks, Michaela! :biggrin:

But, whether I was a "Murrican" or "Ruskie" or Chinese, or whoever, I think it shouldn't matter - not here, not in this forum. I love this forum (it's the only forum I am a member of) and I have learned a lot since I joined in, from a bunch of nice and helpful people. Of all the people here, only Kakihara_ and ThomasMann had been rude... I just don't understand hateful people...

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @TinMan: In Brooklyn, we call them 'Haters'. We pay them little mind, because their message makes no sense.

I'd like to think that if I came to your country, my actions here (or anywhere for that matter) might reflect how you greeted and treated me. So I treat you with respect and dignity, because I hope that, if we meet, you will do the same for me.

In this life, you reap what you sow. :)

8. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That goes without saying :biggrin: You're most welcome for a couple of beers and chat!

9. PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD MDL Novice

May 6, 2013
    This Linux community is very rude and disrespectful. I dislike most mods because they favor the seniority over the newbies. I'm not no pushover.

This is entertaining linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/folder-and-file-sharing-4175598445/

10. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Upon your 1st point:
    I find the misuses of the word 'rude' to be fascinating as well as all too common.
    An example - when someone does not get what they demand they'll often tell whomever refused them that they are just rude - which is simply absurd whilst clearly showing that the speaker does not comprehend their own language.

The OP is about how there is much mistreatment in Linux communities, and I agree that such behaviours are very bad, as I've tried to make clear in all of the above.

As to mods - I have been exposed to many who seem to be bullies just because they are able to, and that is wrong - but bullying is something that folks do quite alot of - just look at all the violently inclined bullies these days who wear badges and misuse their guns & assorted other weapons.

Kindness is not a universal attribute, and anger just begets more anger, sadly.
    The only peaceful response I have found in many situations is to simply let go & move on.

This is actually why I removed myself from the forum at linuxquestions.org - a useless, mostly unhelpful, nasty place IMO.

11. themeone

themeone MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2013
    In my experience it's not just Linux forums which suffer from this - it seems to be something that afflicts online forums in general.

12. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    The internut as a whole seems to function as an encouragement for folks to behave poorly towards one another;
    I would theorize that such behaviours result from the imagined anonymity that folks think they have in cyberspace.

My own point directed at the Linux community is that it is -supposed- to be more about said community AND more about folks helping one another vs. other choices which are commercially centered.

In such a TRUE community-based setting, dealing out doses of condescension would be cause for exclusion for any who did that - but sadly such is not the case.

IMO the good news which counter-balances this is the fact that most anyone can now gain enough exposure & functionality using Linux -MINUS- most large needs for help from other users most of the time.
    I think that this is just because there is by now so much info already available that simply searching with care can be enough to get most things accomplished.

Personally - I have been a great lover of forums for many years - BUT:
    With the all too obvious degradations in online relations between folks and the too common rises in outright snarkiness - I just don't bother posting anyplace neearly as much as I once did.

I also tend to think that all the ANTI-social media things have something to do with the obvious degradations - but since I do not use those things, my perspective is very limited to just observing the negative effects that seem to manifest in folks who spend lots of time using those things.

Just 'signs of the times', sigh.
    I'll remain happily as I am & content to simply watch whatever is happening around me while saying just a little every now & then, someplace or other.

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    To +X^N thanks for share dude very apreciated the link :)