I want a help to activate Vista

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by otman06, Jan 22, 2010.

1. otman06

otman06 MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    am absolutely new to BIOS modifiations
    what is slic 2.1 ?
    what it does to activate Windows?
    What is Bios SLIC ?
    I want to activate Vista by changing the bios, but I do not know where to start
    thanks

2. dhrubo11

dhrubo11 MDL Junior Member

Nov 4, 2009
    For those not in the know, Microsoft tightened up Windows Vista’s product activation scheme from the era of Windows XP due to prevalent usage of the less stringently protected corporate version. Vista requires users to activate the operating system by inputting a key and then verifying it with Microsoft either automatically over the internet or over the telephone. Large OEMs like Dell, IBM, Asus, and others need an efficient way to mass activate their computers so buyers don’t have to deal with the hassle of verifying their copy of Windows. Ultimately a method called System-Locked Pre-installation (SLP) 2.0 was devised from an earlier and simpler SLP 1.0 system used to protect OEM copies of Windows XP and Server 2003. SLP 1.0 and 2.0 both use a special area in a computer’s BIOS to host a set of identification data. In SLP 1.0 it was simply the name of the OEM in the BIOS with a set of less than half a dozen files on the hard drive to verify the OEM listed in the BIOS. In SLP 2.0, one piece of the puzzle involves an ACPI_SLIC table that Vista checks upon starting to verify its activation status. That’s not all. The remaining portions of SLP 2.0 puzzle include the presence of a matching OEM-supplied key and OEM-specific certificate file in addition to the OEM-specific ACPI_SLIC table (SLIC 2.0 table) before it can activate.

what it does to activate windows ?
    =>OEM Product key for your version of windows ..... and Certificate (***.XRM-MS)