I was just screwed over by MSDNAA and I was wondering if I could download Win 7 here

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lobster_Ear, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Lobster_Ear

Lobster_Ear MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    First of all let me say, I know nothing about torrents and all the technicalities of downloading an OS to make it work, but here is my situation.

I recently downloaded Windows 7 Pro x64 from MSDNAA, but the download screwed up on me halfway through, two times, due to their janky system and now they won't let me attempt the download again. I tried e-mailing the administrators as was suggested, but they never got back to me (It's been 3 days and they are supposed to e-mail you back within 24 hrs).

This got me wondering, since they give you a Key along with the download could I possibly download any random Windows 7 Pro .iso and use my MSDNAA windows key to authenticate my copy of Windows 7? Or is there something unique about the MSDNAA .iso file?

My MSDNAA .iso file name: en_windows_7_professional_x64_dvd_X15-65805

If what I'm saying is possible would someone here be kind enough to give me a link to a download that would match my specifications?

Feel free to tell me anything else I need to know as I am new to all of this.

Thanks for the help in advance

2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    just use the matching version link in my thread with the digital river links. it will work just fine

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lobster_Ear

Lobster_Ear MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks! Downloading it as we speak.

Will I be able to use my MSDNAA key to authenticate it? I ask because I've heard that Microsoft can crack down on "non-genuine" copies if windows 7 if they aren't properly authenticated. Will this be a problem?

4. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    No. As long as the disc you use is "Professional" the key will work.

5. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    that is for the people who want to download say professional then unpack the iso and delete the ei.cfg file and then that disk becomes a "universal" version. so when you boot to it it will ask you which version you want to install instead of just being for professional. you would use that with imgburn to make the now unpacked iso bootable again when you convert it back into a iso type file for burning. that is a bootable win7 .img file

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Lobster_Ear

Lobster_Ear MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Ah ok. So I wouldn't want to use that since I'm using my Professional key. Thanks again!

7. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    no problem.

8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    But in the future if you need another version, you don't have to download again, just delete the ei.cfg to unlock all versions.

9. Lobster_Ear

Lobster_Ear MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Ok. I have another problem. For some reason it only downloaded 1.4 GB out of the 3GB. This is the same thing that happened on MSDNAA. I don't understand why I can't get this file to download completely. I've downloaded bigger files in the past. This really sucks.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

10. apollopimp

apollopimp MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    are people still unpacking .isos to delete the ei.cfg i use a little tool called "eicfg removal utility" just search for it

11. Lobster_Ear

Lobster_Ear MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for the help guys. I didn't see your messages about the download manager unitl I started downloading it again. I'm using IE instead of Firefox this time, but if it screws up again I'll try the download manager.