Icons have dissapeared

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FreezerBite, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Looking at that second pic I'd say its format time, one of the loaders (maybe Chew-WGA since that modifies systen files) has messed up something.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FreezerBite

FreezerBite MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Anything I can do about that? Besides doing a fresh install since that is really my LAST option.

3. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Just reformat it, the more you try to "fix" the problem the more likely it will get worse.

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #25 Daz, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Well you could try going to C:\Windows\System32\ and launch cmd.exe as admin. Then input "sfc /scannow", you will proberbly need the Windows 7 disk inserted.

I'm not sure if you have tried yet but another option might be to use the system restore tool on the Windows 7 disc. That will only work if you have any good working restore points though...

*Edit*
    Doh, beat to it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    I think we can find a few more hoops for him to jump through first.

Hey dude, did you manually disable System Restore, or did you just never create a System Restore Point Manually. If this is the case, you prolly have sys restores but just don't know it.

6. FreezerBite

FreezerBite MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    I just never created one, but it says that it was disabled. I tried from the installation disc and it said it couldn't find any, so I think there definitely aren't any.

As for the attempt with command prompt, give me a few more minutes as without the search function, it is harder to get to cmd than I would have thought :p. System32 doesn't want to appear for me.

7. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    TBH all this time you been trying to figure out how to fix it you could have already reformatted.

8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    I never said it would work, just that you will jump through hoops.

Try right click on your C:\ Drive and bring up Properties > Tools > Check Now > Add Check "Scan and Attempt Fix Bad Sectors" and run it.

9. FreezerBite

FreezerBite MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Nope, didn't work.

Hoops are fun.

10. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Hoops are a waste of time.

11. searchengine

searchengine Guest

I would maybe spend an hour trying to find a fix .... after that if I had no icons and my Desktop PC was still looking for "batteries" (post#19) ..... then I would Format.

30 minute reinstall vs ??? long to fix icons .... then another ??? how long to fix the "battery" thing.

Jump thru hoops or format ... think format quicker.

12. jackdor

jackdor MDL Member

Jun 20, 2009
    do you have two monitors or a tv setup if so have a look at the second monitor

13. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    If he want's to jump through hoops let him. Already suggested what he needed to do but if he's too lazy to reformat and reinstall then there is no hope for his poor pc.

On a second though stay away form downloading p*rn.

14. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Yeah there gets to be a certain point where you are wasting more time trying to patch something that is broke rather than replace it.

Think of it like this:

You have an old car that is constantly breaking down, and each time you take it to the shop the fix is more expensive and more intricate. There comes a time when you have reached the point of diminishing returns and it is easier to cut your losses and start over.

You may fix your OS but what if something else breaks, then you spend another 4 days fixing that problem, then another problem pops up, etc. If you format and reinstall then make an image of your clean install you will be ahead of the game if the OS breaks again.

15. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    try a repair install.

load your windows 7 cd in windows, run the setup and perform an upgrade. not clean install

16. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Yeah, probably the best.

17. Romeo2009

Romeo2009 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2009
    will that get rid of my programs and will i loose everything