I'd like to thank Microsoft for Windows 10....

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Joe C, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Emma-R

Emma-R Guest

#41 Emma-R, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
    bat, in the UK we have something called the snoopers charter. internet usage data, cell phone data is being kept by phone companies and gchq. this is true because it was recently passed by parliament.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    And something called: Lack of use of capitals :haha:

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Bat.1 have cell phone:worthy:, call your lost loveo_O, tell her we can't take 3 more dayso_O, monitors won't last:weep:, tell her you'll be good and to push button:clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jadinolf

jadinolf MDL Member

Jun 1, 2016
    If he doesn't I'm gonna snitch on him.;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    They were complaining about Win8.x-10 to me not about Windows 7 SP1, so to them, it was a „huge favor” according to their words.

6. dms-audio

dms-audio MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    It has not been passed yet ? Source ?

theinquirer.net/inquirer/analysis/2464580/theresa-may-becoming-pm-is-a-major-blow-for-privacy

She has been pushing for years for this and previous incarnations have been blocked by the EU courts on infringement of privacy and freedom. Now brexit have won; once we leave the EU the UK can set its own laws and things like this will pass since EU cannot stop them. If you value privacy then maybe start making the switch to linux and keep windows 7/8 for gaming. For those that say I have nothing to hide then just go ahead and pm your passwords to any LEA of your choice and beat the rush ;)

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Uhh...under a very small dog? :D

8. JoshT

JoshT MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2016
    #48 JoshT, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Well I'd like to thank Joe C for starting this thread. If he hadn't I'd never have seen Keith's post:

:worthy: Exactly what I've been needing... Now everything is getting 10 for sure. :clap:

Damn, if only I'd gotten that memo. Someone needs to let MS know that it needs to be put in the instructions, ya know the ones I didn't read.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

TBH you had plenty of time.:biggrin: Personally I'm using CS since the Vista days. Tried Vistart first, It wasn't that bad, but CS proved to be far superior.

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That is for the simple reason they have no good knowledge of Windows 10. They are going to receive upgrade notifications very soon and ask you to fix their operating systems for them. The routine will possibly be a discomfort on their side while you are getting paid. What I would suggest you to do is explain to them the need to upgrade now to Windows 10. Knowing fully well they respect your understanding into Windows operating system and have trust on your service.

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #51 Michaela Joy, Jul 17, 2016
    Updating to the latest Windows OS is not always the best option, and certainly not as necessary as some make it out to be.
    More people are realizing that, and opting out of upgrading or paying a tech to do an upgrade for them.

The general attitude (and statements) I get is "why should I test MS's OS for them? Are they going to pay me to do this? And what about all this talk of spying and loss of sensitive data?"

Here are my answers:

1 ) I can't come up with a good reason.

2 ) No. MS is -not- going to pay you to test Windows 10.

3 ) Yeah, there's a lot of talk. Some is true, some is not.

Most people will err on the side of caution and say "No thanks. Just put it back the way it was."

Time is Money. And My time is best spent doing what I need to do to survive and thrive. Not repairing or upgrading apps that may or may not work with the new OS.
    And not chasing stupid computer problems around when I have to be working.

Did you ever have to deal with a bond trader whose computer screwed up and cost His company a small fortune?
    Well I have. Let's just say that the computer tech has a job with another company and leave it at that.

If a customer does not want it, don't try to coerce them into accepting it. You may very well lose them as a client.

12. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Why should I test MS's OS for them? Because I can provide feedback along with a zillion other testers, and we can have a really nice OS which works. We will avoid another Vista. MS does not pay us to test, but our payment is a really nice OS! There is a lot of talk about "spying" but it is only talk. MS does not spy. There is telemetry, not even as much as any smartphone that people use. This telemetry is a really cool part of the new OS which reports back what crashes we have, and other things, but there is absolutely no loss of sensitive data. SMH!!! Sucks to be that tech guy who was so incompetent he did not know which programs worked with an upgrade, and which did not. Has he not heard of google searches or virtual machines? Did the company he upgraded not have the money to upgrade to a compatible program? Again, SMH!!!

13. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @dhjohns: Corporate is corporate. If they have to spend money to upgrade, then they will and write it off. If they upgrade an OS, then the consulting firm that maintains any custom software for them will upgrade their code.

But that's a concerted, coordinated effort, usually done with meetings ,research, and time lines.

And it's not "forced" on them. They have a choice as to when and how they upgrade.

In the case of the consumer, it's different.

And I'm sorry. Most users are not power users. Most people just want to surf the web and enjoy their computer.
    -NOT- beta test Microsoft's products. And on top of that, being forced into upgrading and beta testing Windows 10?

That may work for some of you here, but the general populous does not accept it.

SMH

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Vista is not a good analogy.

Vista was a completely renewed windows. W10 is just Vista MK IV, just like W98 SE was W95 MK IV, Just like NT4 was NT 3.50 MK III. And so on.

Only Win95, Win NT 3.5x, Win 2K and Vista were milestones. And all of them were a pain in the ass, when released.

W95 was received relatively well just because W3.xx was even worse.

15. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I used Windows 3.11 for Workgroups with a TCP stack. It was great! I installed Windows 95 (sucked,) then went back to 3.11. When Windows 98 came out, I used that. Went to 98SE, then Me (awesome OS.) I used XP, skipped Vista (I used an iMac--17" screen on the hemisphere) then went to Windows 7. I have kept upgrading since then 8, 8.1, and now latest 10 IP!!!

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Win 3.xx was just a s**tty OS, but W3.11 was already the third incarnation of win 3.0

Hence it was something like W98 SE v.s. W95 RTM: Way better than the first "release" (which as in MS tradition was just a paid beta)

17. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #57 DavidinCT, Jul 17, 2016
    No question Win 3.XX was a crappy little OS but, when it was available, there was not much other options besides typing command lines. So, it was great for it's day.

Windows 95 was the most innovative OS Microsoft has ever created. Still to this day. Even on Windows 10, there is still little parts from Windows 95 in it.. that Microsoft is TRYING to get away from.

I setup a VM with Windows 95 OR2 about 6 months ago, got it on the internet and was shocked on how well it did just browsing older sites, still worked fine. Now if there was a version of .net for it, with a newer browser it could almost be used as a daily browsing machine. And it is CRAZY fast even on a few years old hardware. The PLUS! pack brings back some memories that is for sure...

And EVERY Microsoft OS on RTM is just a paid beta test.... In the past, even with Vista and XP, they never get really good till at least SP1...

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #58 Joe C, Jul 17, 2016
    (OP)
  19. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    First of all, they don't want to know what's going on under the hood. They want an OS that works for them and Win10, in their opinions, fails at that, while Win7SP1 is just perfect.
    Second of all, I'm doing it for free.
    Third of all, there's software that blocks Win10 nagging, so no discomfort created.
    But thank you for your genuine interest in the mental health of my friends & acquaintances.

20. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #60 T-S, Jul 17, 2016

It's not exactly like that.

When Windows was released It was one of the many competing desktop environments, and it survived because it was so ugly that was impossible to take it as Mac os clone. Hence everyone was sued and everyone lost the trial except MS, because Windows was the ugliest of the group.
    Win 95 decided how a modern loooking GUI should work. Something that even today proved to be very hard to replace.

But, again, W95 copied most of the ideas coming from OS2 and surpassed it thanks to the already widespread usage of Win 3.xx.

And tanks to the so called "piracy" that MS allowed (and still allows), as the main way to enlarge the user base.

Windows today is surely a good product, but it's like the sausages, It's better to not investigate about it's history to avoid some nausea. ;)