I'd like to thank Microsoft for Windows 10....

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Joe C, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I quite agree with the stand you take on this argument. It is not farfetched to say you provide what they demand for but without letting them know the consequences at the long run.

Firstly, Windows 10 is an operating system that works also and to provide them insightful information on the importance is very necessary. However, you did the right thing by giving them what they want.

Secondly, I never knew you were doing it for free. I thought they paid you for it just like the original poster of the thread.

Thirdly, some of those software that disable updates are not completely reliable. Don't you think that software that blocks Windows 10 upgrade notification would at a point fails to carry out its purpose perfectly when the 29 July upgrade deadline elapsed? They would have by then missed the opportunity to upgrade their systems for free.

You are welcome. I quite agree with some of your views on the matter but I still think it is for their best interest to upgrade now(with your in-depth explanations of Windows 10 to them is helpful) than later when they have to be required to pay to use it. We have seen this kind of situation in government programs where people who come late to take part in the early use miss out on the opportunities. Your friends and acquaintances would have to pay to use Windows 10 in the near future though.

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You only lose customers who have idea of what you are trying to coerce them into and having no interest thereof. There is a nuance there when comparing it to your point. I don't think a layman cannot understand the benefits of one product from the other - at least your explanations would help to distinguish them. There is a lot for them to gain from using Windows 10 than staying on previous Windows operating systems that are gradually being faced out. It is for their security and advantages in the modern world.

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    No one is FORCED to beta test MS's products. The insider program is entirely voluntary. Also, no one was forced to upgrade either. The only people who supposedly received a surprise upgrade were people who did not follow the instructions presented in the upgrade window which very clearly said that you must click "here" to delay or cancel the upgrade. Instructions are important, and must be read. One can't just go willy-nilly closing windows, or clicking next, and expect good results.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    You have to look at this another way. Most people would love to get something for nothing. And that also apples to Windows operating system. So why would these people not want to upgrade?? Because they most likely have seen or read about the system and don't like it for what ever reason. Don't think that just because they don't want it they don't know anything about it. They know and they make their decision not to go that route. If they did not know diddly squat about it then they surly would try it.

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Give these people ONE week, and they will be crying about why Microsoft did not extend the one year free upgrade offer, and how they are an evil company. Most people don't like to try anything new. It might be s**t, but it is warm, comfortable s**t. Then when they have to actually pay for it, instead of getting it for free they will all be singing the blues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    #66 oldsh_t, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    But now that is just the point here about underhanded forcing by M$. Closing the window should not mean YEA UPGRADE ME!!!

I have many programs and things on my computer that offer things and I just close them out and don't get bothered or upgraded or anything. Life carries on with out a hitch.

Lets not play stupid here, you and I both know exactly what M$ was doing here.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You have a good point there. This seems to be based on fear, complacency and speculations. Those who could not do the installation themselves would likely fall under the category of layman or the average Joe.

8. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    May be your right that they will be crying but them maybe your wrong. Everyone who does not want it knows that the free offer will end, yet they still don't want it.
    Windows is not the only fish in the sea. Many people are now looking at alternatives.

9. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    In my case I never wanted Me, Vista, 8, 8.1, 10, or even 7 for that matter.
    XP was plenty good for what I was doing at the time.
    Then in order to run a certain piece of software I was forced to upgrade to 7.
    That upgrade cost me the functionality of a flat bed scanner which cost me $1000 because Micro$oft in their infinite wisdom decided to pull the ASPI layer out of 7.

And you wonder why people are reluctant ?

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Whereas in the near future you would have to bear more cost if you don't upgrade in time in this case. Those who are reluctant to migrate now aren't seeing the bigger picture.

11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    ROTFLMAO.
    It is people like yourself who don't see the big picture.
    But given time you will.

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I wish you would explain better why you think I am not seeing the bigger picture. Things are rapidly changing and you would have to upgrade to keep up.

You are too complacent to accept such changes though.

13. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Hamrick's Vuescan would solve that problem real quick. It worked for me and still works for me. I am using a scanner where Canon did not update drivers to Windows 7. It still runs beautifully on Windows 10 with Vuescan.

14. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Ummm, yeah.
    Back when I made the switch to 7 viewscan was someone's wet dream...
    Probably the guy's who actually wrote an ASPI driver which was supposed to work in Win 7.

Lemme see, $1000 for a scanner, $895 for the ASPI driver...
    Is it worth it, for a hobbiest ?

Regardless that scanner and I finally parted company 2009ish.
    To add insult to injury I left the desk/island I custom built for it with a recess so the glass was on an even plane with the desk behind as well.
    The scanner was a Canon IX-4015 with a SCSI interface.

It was replaced by a USB scanner I bought from wal-mart for $69 and change.

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Nope.
    You just follow along with your "change we can believe in" mantra along with your crowd of lemmings.
    Someday you will realize just how wrong you were.
    Of course by then it will be too late for you to do anything about it, and with luck I'll be planted.

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Format that XP system already :laie:

17. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Some people will refuse to change even when the change is positive and unknowingly changing without knowing it. That conjecture means a lot when looking into upgrading to Windows 10 from previous Windows operating systems. It is appalling to say the least though.

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    And install Windows 7 :laie:

19. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Can't read, can you ?

That was when my scanner woes began.

20. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Yea right, install a 10-year old OS. :bangin: