IDE to SATA from Win7 Image file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr.X, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I have a Win7 image file made with Image for DOS (Terabyte Unlimited).
    It contains a Win7 installation with IDE mode and I store it on a separate HDD.
    When the time comes my current IDE HDD with the working Win7 installation will die because it's old, very old.
    When it die I'll need to restore that win7 image file (IDE mode) onto a SATA HDD, obviously it will not boot / bsod.
    Hence I am anticipating on that matter, what to do in this case?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe you do the imaging again using HDClone!! That will gives you the freedom to use the image file later for to 'restore' to an SATA HDD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  4. exe98

exe98 MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2013
    maybe try :
    overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation
    askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    They seem the answers to my questions. Going to bookmark them for future reference. Thanks.

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Do you think the free version can do this job?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    With no problems, I would say!

The Pro and Enterprise Versions just having extended features, the main work for cloning is just the same in the free version.

For me that HDClone Apps is the best apps for cloning, imaging etc. I ever used with ZERO problems! I also started with that free version first and as I'd seen how clean and good it were working, I was move on to the pro and later the Enterprise, for my company. The Enterprise is for corporate works because of it's feature to clone at the same time up to 16 drives, which isn't any need for the private use.

Just try the free version for an test and I do believe that you'll be fully satisfied with it!

11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #12 redroad, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    The OP is talking about an IDE HDD .. The OP doesn't tell us what sata ports he has Sata 1, II, or III but running an IDE HDD when there are sata ports doesn't point to someone who is concerned with boot times :D Bringing UEFI into the conversation when the OP is still talking about running an IDE HDD is also pointless .. The card will work fine for what the OP said he wanted to do in Windows 7 .. It has NCQ and gives him sata II which I'd be willing to guess he doesn't have on his current motherboard .. The bios probably doesn't support AHCI either and if it does how do you put ahci drivers on an existing install without using a card ? ..

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #13 pisthai, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Sorry redroad if I was step on your feet!!

I wasn't talking about his MB, talked about experiences I had with such controllers in the past and still now!

And just to talk about such MB's, I still use one of those with IDE and just 2 SATA 1 ports which were not working with an extra PCI IDE/SATA controller, like the one on your picture, and got problems with driver for both Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, for normal (Non-Raid) use of either IDE or SATA HDD's. Worked fine if the Raid Driver were installed but without. Tested on different MB's as well and got the same problem! To work with such controllers, AHCI is need only if you like to use Hot-Plug of the HDD's. In simple IDE mode it normally works fine, but on all MB's! The MB's I tested and not worked without RAID were ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI while an PC-Chips MB was working without RAID installed and setup.
    And just to note: you could only use IDE OR SATA, NOT mixed! I need to look, I should still have some of that controllers lying around because I use for now the PCI-X controllers with 2 SATA internal and 2 eSATA external, the SIL3132 Ver. C which let you use either internal or external but mixed. Still with those are some driver problems, I just know how to handle those.

To put an AHCI Driver on Windows without to install and Controller card, is an easy peace of cake!! I created some years ago an small tuto for Windows Vista and 7 about that, just for to use the Hot-Plug function:

Code:
    For to enable AHCI in existing Windows Installation's

Caution: Do NOT enable AHCI in BIOS prior you'd done some changes in your Registry!

Use WinKey + R and type Regedit in the command line and hit the Enter key, this will open the Registration Editor.
    Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControilSet/services/iaStorV
    right click on Start, select Modify and set Data Value to -0
    now go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControilSet/services/msahci
    right click on Start, select Modify and set Data Value to 0

Close Registration Editor and restart computer.

While start computer open the BIOS Page and set the SATA Mode to AHCI

Save Bios settings and restart. 

Windows will now install the required new drivers fully automatic and should work perfectely. 

14. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #14 redroad, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Your not stepping on my "feet" toes :D ..

HBA's (Host bus adapters) have been manufactured and used in enterprise class hardware for years with little problem .. They are in a class that does not provide raid functionality .. Their sole purpose is to provide function that the motherboard does not .. To dismiss them as a viable option because you may have had some bad experiences with them is just plain poor advice .. I have used "Promise" and "LSI" in pci-x, pci, and pci-e with no ill effects on many motherboards .. Making a blanket statements that dismiss them as a viable option while they've been used in enterprise hardware for years is just well :rolleyes: .. The Promise card that I recommended above has been used since sata II came out to give added functionality to a somewhat obsolete motherboard .. I have used it many times on many different boards without any problems .. It's ease of use is one of it's selling points ..

I am aware of the registry fix to add AHCI drivers but I think having the operating system do it is a far better choice .. Using the card to do that would be my choice every time :)

I would still like to hear from the OP which sata ports he has on his motherboard ..

15. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Don't matter (for me) what ports do I have on my motherboard. There are software solutions such as HDClone and Acronis Universal Restore (I researched lately) and I think I will good to go with the migration. :D
    Any case, if I need to reformat and re-install I could spend 1 day doing so.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Do I need every time to explain again that I talk about MY experiences on MY computers? I think that I'd made that clear enough in my post! That isn't what you name 'Blanket Statement'! It's the result of my work with those Hardware!

I was clearly talking about an already installed Windows OS on an computer which has AHCI disabled in BIOS! If AHCI is enabled BEFORE installing the OS, there isn't any need for to manual config of it, it would result in some crashes. That's why I pointed to that in my tuto! Using the changes without the Registry change upfront, means enable AHCI on an already installed OS, could and might would result in some AHCI features not working correctly, like Hot-Plug, which would lead to the need of manual start the HDD if they is added after Windows were started already. Normally, if the Registry tweak is done correctly, it would need about 20-30sec to have the HDD running normally after inserting those HDD while Windows run.

17. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    @pisthai There is no need to be defensive or upset in any way if someone challenges what you say if you are simply willing to acknowledge that there are other viable/workable solutions other than yours .. Just because you've had a history of doing things one way and you've had success doing it doesn't mean there are not other perfectly viable alternative solutions, otherwise how would we learn new things/ways ? I am in no way trying to discredit your life experiences by presenting mine .. Do you see that? :)

For example you use the registry fix for ahci on a previously installed OS .. I however use the card to accomplish the same thing by first placing the card in the slot and when the system boots point the OS to the driver for the card .. Next I move the sata cable from the motherboard to the card boot to the OS .. Next reboot to the bios and enable ahci .. save changes .. Now when you boot to the OS in Windows 7 the ahci drivers will be added for the motherboard by the OS automatically .. No bsod at all .. Now if you want you can move the sata cable back to the motherboard sata connector and remove the card without issue .. It's that easy .. You prefer your registry solution and I however do not .. Both are perfectly viable solutions are they not?

I have taken the time to explain myself so you and I don't have to find ourselves at this juncture in the future .. Ok? :)

@Mr.X certainly if you are now considering a fresh install as an option then if you want AHCI functionality and your bios provides for it just remember to enable it before you install the OS .. Most of the time with W7 the driver is there but in the case that it is not just have it ready from the manufacturer of the motherboard .. Wish you the best in either case :D

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks redroad, actually my mobo has AHCI (and SATA ports obviously) and one IDE slot. When the time comes then I'll see what to do :p

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As I could tell only about MY experiences, others could just do that about theirs! If you read any of my post carefully, you would find that I not deny that others have or had different experiences than I did, it's simply impossible to admit somethings which I hadn't done on my own. You'll hardly find an, as you called it, Blanket Statement in my post's. Top challenge someones experiences without to ask beforehand is the wrong way around and therefore inappropriate.

As the OP hasn't told anything of an 3.party Controller Card, all my writing were about those fact regarding the AHCI Registry Fix. You had bring such Cards into the 'game', neither the OP nor I!

Reread my explanation about the Registry Fix again without even to think about an 3.party Card and you should realize what I was talking about! It was simply off topic to bring in an 3.party card and their work, which were simply not part of the OP's explanation about what he were asking for.

That would be fine as long as you refrain from 'Blanket Statements' and 'Off Topic' comments! Before challenges others, look at the known fact's and what the OP it's asking for. If you think that you need to express your experiences, do that on the way to clearly state that it's for your's and not for other user's for whom you all times unable to admit what they'd, could or would have done or not, instead ask for explanation in first line!

I would really suggest that you reread my comments about the AHCI in all of my post in this thread again if you still have problems to understand that I never talked about what you'd done with your hardware (which I never would be able to do!), just talked about MY experiences in MY work. I not challenges you in any means regarding your experiences with your hardware!

If the OP enables AHCI in MB's BIOS beforehand installation of Windows 7, AHCI will properly work and since Vista the required software will be installed by Windows directly. Only if the AHCI would be enabled AFTER Windows is installed already, there could be problems, even in not to be able to start Windows at all and in that case, use the Registry Fix first, restart the computer and enable AHCI in BIOS which will lead to install the required software automatically and correct.

20. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    @pisthai & redroad. My favorite card was the Adaptec 2120S. Always worked. Never had any issues.
    Just reminded me of it as both of you refer to pci-x like it's on modern motherboards... The good old days...