IDM vs FDM

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Satoshi19, Mar 4, 2018.

1. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That perfectly sums it up. I do not need Mercedes to go shopping, much easier to park in smaller Fiat, and all shopping still fits in.
    I am not defending one or another, anybody uses what they want

I just do not see a reason to pay $25 per machine for IDM, on 4 separate machines that makes 100 bucs. Worth it? Not to me

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm using FDM, but not the crappy 5.x version. 3.9.7 runs full speed for me. Additionally, jDownloader handles many file download services without having to whitelist all the crap in the browser. Again, jD downloads with full speed (~12.5 MegaBytes per second with my 100MBit line).

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    IDK, I tried it once, and found it very confusing. It was very annoying, and in the way. I really don't remember much about it except I uninstalled it rather quickly. It was really difficult to use, and kept popping up, and just generally being intrusive when I wanted to download a file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That sums it up either!

At the end of the day, it's all about what someone needs and that differs from person to person.
    What also differs would be the environment where that product is used, in Business or Private or Education or whatsoever! At least for the Business, means that user uses that product for to run his Business and make Money (income) with it. That user should understand that the products he uses from others would cost money (for to develop etc.) and that those others expect to get something (bucks) for it, while the user uses it in his Business for to make his income, means to get paid for his work.

For me, as I'm in the Computer Business, I don't mind to pay for software the needed License fee, as my customers need to pay License Fee's to my company for Software Products we'd developed for them.

Nothing in Life is free, we pay for it all time, one way or another! And that applies even to any so-called Freeware Software!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. :eek:

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    For FDM, just use the last *GOOD* version (3.9.7). The 5.x version is crap.

FDM_397.jpg

7. secgeek

secgeek MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2018
    IDM for sure, for its sleek UI and powerful capturing.

8. Aadu Thoma

Aadu Thoma MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2018
    For me IDM is best ..

9. dorew

dorew MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2016
    IDM is better imo

10. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    Curious after reading some posts ... so i checked FDM on my Windows 7 box which was v. 3.9.5.1542. I don't do much torrenting any more when i do, µTorrent 2.2.1.25273 works for me just fine. Others I've tried bitkinex 3.2.3, if you need or enjoy tweaking rediscover Tixati, i've been using 2.5.6. Chrome is default browser which i usually Never download large files with... FileZilla Client 3.31.0 has a place on my Win 7 box as well... IDM, even if free not my cup of tea.

11. dhruvenjoy

dhruvenjoy MDL Member

Nov 27, 2010
    IDM is the better option between fdm and IDM. IDM download dialog box is better and has better speeds.

12. SPDIF

SPDIF MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2014
    For windows users there is also GetRight download manager available. Also use it already for some year and it never let me down.
    I think it is worth a try for some of you. For pure speed i also use IDM.
    Getright is not so common know, but it does a good job!