If I dual boot Windows 7 with a Cracked Vista will it mess up?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by madroxinide, Apr 18, 2009.

1. madroxinide

madroxinide MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    #1 madroxinide, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    Previously I have tried to dual boot Windows 7 with my cracked copy of Vista (Vista was installed first with Vista Loader 3.0.0.1).

I dual booted them on the same hard drive (partitioned). However when I installed Win7, it borked the Vista Loader and my Vista install got trashed. Also I couldn't re-apply the Vista Loader patch, it just wouldn't work.

With the Win7 RC coming out soon, is there any possibly way I could dual boot the two, and still have my Vista install intact?

Would installing Win7 to a completely seperate hard-drive fix the problem?

Thanks.

Edit: Perhaps it was due to the fact that I chose to install Win7 from within Vista. (Ie I started the install while on Vista, through a cd)

2. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    It could trash it once again. You would be better to just mod your bios with a proper SLIC.
    That way you won't need to use any kind of boot-based BIOS pre-loaders.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. madroxinide

madroxinide MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    Never heard of the SLIC method. Is it dangerous/permanent? Where could I learn more about it.

4. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    This forum, Vista section.
    Hopefully this method will work for Win7 too in the future.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. madroxinide

madroxinide MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    Ahh from what I read it requires a floppy drive, which I don't have access to now. I suppose I will just wait then. Thanks.

6. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    a floppy drive ?
    Man... I did it a few times from windows-based flashers. or - You can do it via a bootable usb or cd, there are several ways, just dig in the forum.

7. Dragy2k

Dragy2k MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2009
    my win 7 install is upgraded from a cracked version of vista ultimate and it rocks....might be different from person to person....:cool::)
    dual booting it with xp pro corp thou .......nuff said!

8. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Dragy2k : yeah, it will work that way since the Win7 boot-loader replaced the Vista one.
    But the thing is - madrox wants to install Win7 as dual boot with Vista and that will result in problems since the boot-loader will be overwritten and the bios-emu will not work properly.

9. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    I've done this many times.
    i.e installing Win 7 beta builds to another partition whilst retaining Vista on the first partition.
    Installing Win 7 does 'de-activate' Vista but if you've 'cracked' your Vista with the so called 'Developer Activation' then you just need to do it again (run Developer Activation on Vista) and all partitions boot and are activated.
    Google for 'Developer Activation' and you'll find it!

10. petrossa

petrossa MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2009
    Reboot Vista in Safe Mode to rerun any SLIC Boot loader and it'll reactivate vista. I've an old bios emu and it works fine this way.