If the FCC’s ‘Net Neutrality’ Plan is So Great, Why Can’t Anyone See It?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skaendo, Feb 25, 2015.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    [

Communism is coming to the USA my friend, I just hope that you are ready for it.[/QUOTE]

the good news is that communism is a proven non-viable commercial proposition.
    the bad news is that google, m$, sony etc are..

it is heads you lose, tails you lose too, quite apart from any labels..

i personally wish that they all just keep their greedy little hands off the internet,
    but i guess that is a bit over optistic..:thinking:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #42 redroad, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    You are aware that it is the deregulation of the FCC that has allowed those 6 corporations to take control of 90% of the media .. Just like in every state that has voted in deregulation of any utility has left the common man paying higher utility bills because they were left most often with what was suppose to be competition turned out to instead be only one provider where they can raise their rates with little head wind .. I might be mistaken but I think you may be confused as to what the ramifications of the deregulation of the FCC may be .. Just trace the money and you will see it is the GOP and their benefactors that are changing our country into a Corporatocracy :yes: .. You in your lifetime will never have to worry about Marxism or Communism for that matter because the "free market capitalists" are having way to much fun making money ;) However what you might concern yourself with being a desert dweller is water and the 150 year drought .. One thing I can assure is there will be no GOP solution for you there .. Give this a read .. I mean who the fxck says that especially someone in charge of a state government .. I mean even you acknowledge that climate change is real :rolleyes: :D I smell oil money all over this ..

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I don't agree with this at all, for the internet to remain viable it needs to remain relevant and for it to remain relevant it needs to grow.
    And who exactly is going to grow the internet, certainly not the moronic Republicans, they would prefer to sit on everything and milk it.
    Those same companies you called communist will have to do the job.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm, i i idid not call them communist, i believe, and the internet is viable enough, just
    look at all those billions indian and chinese people online out there, i just disapprove
    of needless commercial or ideological interference of any kind. the www is a healthy
    organism.

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    No it isn't it needs less pron and more sects.

6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #46 Skaendo, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    (OP)
    You are not getting the point. Yes, deregulation of and by the FCC has allowed those 6 corporations to control 90% of msm. So giving the FCC control of the Internet would be a bad idea since they are going to do the same thing to it, and worse. So since they couldn't get anything passed with the public knowing what was in it, they did another Obamacare and said that we need to pass it to know whats in it. And giving away Obamamodems - "Lifeline restructuring will lead to tax increases across the board, says FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai, who claims the FCC’s latest move “imposes intrusive government regulations that won’t work to solve a problem that doesn’t exist using legal authority the FCC doesn’t have…”"

FCC Chairman Says Net Neutrality Won’t Mean New Internet Taxes. Here’s Why One Agency Commissioner Says That’s Wrong.

Asked what the Internet ‘general conduct rule’ means, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said, ‘We don’t really know.’

We are already living in the beginnings of Communism, our police are becoming militarized, free speech is being censored with new Internet regulations, and here, and here, the government is trying to take land (Bundy Ranch, where the land was going to be given to a Chinese solar farm company), The Orwellian Re-Branding of “Mass Surveillance” as Merely “Bulk Collection”.

Climate change does happen, but not like Gore and his Democratic cronies want you to believe.

Top 5 failed ‘snow free’ and ‘ice free’ predictions

2014 - And now it's global COOLING! Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 29% in a year

2015 - Boston breaks seasonal snowfall record with 108.6 inches

flamethrower.jpg

So they had to change their story AGAIN to fit their agenda.

1940-1970 - "Global Cooling"
    1990 - "Global Warming"
    2015 - "Climate Change"

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    @Skaendo

The FCC was established by the "Communications Act of 1934" as a regulatory body .. It gets it's regulatory powers from that law .. Now let's look at some history ..

The "Telecommunications Act of 1996" (S.652) was the first major reform since the original 1934 Telecommunications Act . It was introduced and sponsored by Sen. Pressler, Larry [R-SD] on 03/30/1995 in the One Hundred Fourth United States Congress. It's important to look at the makeup of the 104th congress and that time in history to get to the bottom of who is actually responsible for any deregulation of the media that the FCC was ordered to carry out as a result of the "Telecommunications Act of 1996".

The make up of the 104th congress was as follows the Senate was a Republican majority with 53 republicans and 47 democrats .. The House of Representatives was also a Republican Majority with 234 republicans and 197 democrats .. Also noteworthy and certainly brought to bare on the passing of "Telecommunications Act of 1996" was the actual Republican engineered shutdown of the United States government. So the "Telecommunications Act of 1996" which was introduced in 1995 by Republican majority and was ferried through this environment to be signed in to law 02/08/1996 becoming public law No: 104-104 .. If you like to read and want the truth there it is .. Them's the facts son .. So it is you who are missing the point .. One can only conclude that it is the Republicans who are solely responsible for the 6 corporations control of 90% of the media In America any other conclusion is spin and/or revisionist history ..

I'll address the rest of your spew from post #46 tomorrow ..

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Nydailynews_newt.jpg

I remember that :)

9. Emprah

Emprah MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2015
    I can't really tell whether the OP is serious or this is just hyper-elaborate satire. The FCC is far from perfect, and its track record of regulating telecos in the US leaves much to be desired (chiefly because of the outrageous level of regulatory capture currently occurring in the US) but this latest decision is a small step in the right direction. Internet service providers and telecos have proven that they will need regulatory oversight to prevent them from engaging in degenerate/extortionate practices - I don't think I need to even start listing the litany of abuses by Comcast, AT&T, et al. - so the FCC is stepping in to keep the playing field marginally even. Considering that it is almost entirely composed of lobbyists, I don't see much danger of the FCC doing anything so radical it will fundamentally damage our ISP oligopoly's business model. ;)

10. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    New internet regulations finally released by the Federal Communications Commission make 46 references to a group funded by billionaire George Soros and co-founded by a neo-Marxist.

The FCC released the 400-page document on Thursday, two weeks after it passed new regulations, which many fear will turn the internet into a public commodity and thereby stifle innovation.

“Leveling the playing field” in that way has been a clear goal of Free Press, a group dedicated to net neutrality which was founded in 2003.

As Phil Kerpen, president of the free-market group American Commitment, first noted, Free Press is mentioned repeatedly in the FCC document. Most of the references are found in footnotes which cite comments by Free Press activists supporting more internet regulation.

The term “Free Press” is mentioned 62 times in the regulations. Some are redundant mentions referring to the same Free Press activists’ comments in favor of more oversight. In total, the FCC cited Free Press’ pro-net neutrality arguments 46 times.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/12/fcc-cites-soros-funded-neo-marxist-founded-group-46-times-in-new-regs/

B_98U4rWsAApvX_.jpg

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #51 Michaela Joy, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    @Skaendo: Have you read the FCC document? The first 5 pages make complete sense to me.

More than 20 years ago, Bill Gates spoke of a plan to lease computers and charge a monthly fee for the OS. People said he was crazy, and that it would never work.Nowadays, you have Androids and I-phones that were originally locked to the carrier, effectively creating a "Leased Hardware" scenario (What good is the hardware if the OS doesn't work, and, the OS functionality is keyed on the network service) Only after "Pirates" figured out how to root and unlock phones were the carriers forced to modify their business model to allow for it. At first, they (the carriers) petitioned the courts to pass laws making rooting and unlocking phones a crime.

In essence, you don't own your phone (Even though you probably paid exorbitant amounts of cash or were locked into a ridiculous carrier plan with early termination fees). You own a clump of hardware which is essentially useless without network service. Oh, and privacy? You have no privacy. programs like CarrierIQ are a shining example of how much businesses care about the consumer.

How about this scenario. When you purchase a Cellphone with a plan that says "Unlimited Everything", do you mind if the carrier cuts off or throttles your internet for the sake of saving a buck or selling that extra bandwidth to a commercial entity?

Bill Gates was right. The business model works "With a vengeance". The entire cell phone industry is all about snake oil and selling the least product for the most money.

Fair practices must be forced on businesses. That is a universal axiom. Corporations are -not- about the people; they are about the investors.

From what I'm reading, the FCC is making an attempt at addressing this and other issues in the Telecom industry.

IMHO, they're on the right path.

:MJ

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    This is one of the problems with the world, whatever happened to quality and fairness you !$@^#$ morons. Everything is a cash grab. They would sell you poop in a paper bag if you were stupid enough to buy it.

14. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    One thing I know I can count on is my internet connection costing me more as it has for the last 15 years :) .. You keep quoting Ajit Pai and then turning around and pointing to Obama's take over of the FCC and his appointment of Tom Wheeler as being proof of that .. You are aware that President Obama also appointed Ajit Pai and do you honestly think that the President did not know Pai's views on net neutrality before he appointed him ..

15. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i am blissfully unaware of american politics, redroad.. all i can say about this ajit pai person after watching that video, is that i would not buy a second-hand car from him..;) at any price..

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    @ Skaendo

Pai's faux outrage gives the impression he was tied up in some back room while the debate and vote was taken .. You, Pai, and the GOP lost the vote 3 to 2 get over it .. Pai's outrage is strictly theatrics so you and the GOP have something to build your conspiracy theories off of and so he has job security as a right wing shill when his appointment runs out in 2016 ..
    [FONT=&quot]
    These days you can count on like clock work the blogoshere creating one BS story after another where one lies and the other one swears it to be true .. Then a whole network of "independent journalists" who are making a living peddling the spin of the day and who if we followed the money closely would lead us back to some nefarious political middle man whose sole purpose is to keep plausible dependability and distance for those who have the true agenda of undermining our democracy .. For example have a look at that Rasmussen pole you quoted so to give the illusion that [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]61% Oppose Federal Regulation of the Internet ..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    So out of 1,000 people polled that Rasmussen poll hit the right wing blogosphere like wild fire .. Did you even bother to read the questions asked ?? Source

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How can you possibly conclude that this poll represents 61% of the American people who have an opinion about Net Neutrality ![/FONT]

This is just one example of what you and your fellow right wing shills fill the internet with daily .. Your motto is as long as it is repeated enough times it must be true ..

Back to the whole idea of deregulation as far as the GOP is concerned .. So now with Republican majorities in both the House of Representatives and Senate this is how they choose to govern ..

Source

One thing you can count on is the Republican party,in general, will always be for deregulation so that their corporate donors can make max profit regardless of the impact on the environment or the common man ..

17. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #57 Skaendo, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    (OP)
    Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Tom Wheeler acknowledged in congressional testimony today that an Internet tax--which he had previously said would not be imposed--could be imposed in the future.

Source

First lie that has been uncovered.

Originally he said "A fact sheet Wheeler issued about the rules on February 4 stated: “The Order will not impose, suggest or authorize any new taxes or fees--there will be no automatic Universal Service fees applied and the congressional moratorium on Internet taxation applies to broadband.”"

Forum Rules

Please stop calling me "right wing", GOP whatever, etc. I am starting to find it offensive.

18. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #58 redroad, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    @ Skaendo

Certainly you would concede that since it was/is public knowledge that when an entity is given a "Utility" status it will be taxed .. That is just how are laws read .. Since FCC chairman Wheeler made that comment before any vote on the rules he had no prior knowledge that the internet would be given "Utility" status .. I will give you his comment was premature and slightly careless given that a vote for "Utility" status would result in taxation .. I would however like to see for those who get their internet connection on phone hard line which is solely used for that internet connection not be taxed for two utilities ..

I find it hard to concede that the process that led to the adopted rules wasn't fair an open considering this is the course the commission took ..

Source

There is a trend on the internet that I find troubling where an increasing amount of websites are emerging posing as "News" outlets whose sole purpose is to disseminate misinformed or misleading information that later finds it's way into main stream media solely based on how it is trending in the blogoshere rather than it's factual content .. Knowingly or unknowingly you are participating in the spread of that misinformation and given the large percentage if not all of what you've linked to is right leaning content it is not at all a stretch to call you right wing IMHO :rolleyes: What I personally take offense to is someone parading misinformation as fact on a forum/on-line community that I have chosen to call home .. You personally have chosen to fill several pages of MDL with nothing short of links to propaganda .. It is you who are breaking rule 1.5 by proselytizing with your right wing BS .. So you keep parading your misinformation as somehow remotely factual and because of the way I'm built I'll keep making it my personal project as though you walked into my community peddling the crap .. :shake:

19. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Unless you have a million dollars or more in the bank, How could you even consider being a republican?

@Skaendo: I've been watching this thread and I have seen no behavior that even remotely appears to be breaking any forum rules. By anybody. If you take a stance on the side of the right (meaning right-wing), you run the risk of being labeled "Right Wing". That's just the way it is.

@nodnar: I can't say as I blame you. American politics has driven many Americans to the point of apathy.
    Unfortunately, this is a win-win for the powers that be; Most people ignore their antics and suffer the consequences at a later time.

@redroad: You and I are like-minded where politics are concerned; It's about what's best for the people. Corporations will come and go. They survive because of the people. We choose to buy their products / services.

And if we don't ...they die. And something better comes to take their place.

When standard oil was in power, a similar situation existed. That's what made the government create antitrust laws.
    We must continue that trend. Enacting laws to prevent that from happening again.

:MJ

20. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    This would be considered labeling me "right wing". I am not "right wing", or a democrat, or a republican, or a conservative, or a liberal, or a libertarian. I am an American citizen that is tired of this so called government ruining America, and all their doing is creating more government. And I didn't vote any of these clowns in office. Believe me, if it were the republicans doing this to our internet, I would be saying the same thing. But it's not. It's the three democrats that obama (another democrat) placed in the FCC to further his own agenda. The two republicans on the FCC board are against these new regulations.