I'm about to buy a new notebook TODAY - ACER or DELL?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spkleader, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Can you elucidate? Or is crap a technical definition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Beastmaster

Beastmaster MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    My brother has both Dell and Acer and is always having issues with both. Either video or processor problems with the newer apps and games even with latest drivers....Technical support also sucks according to him. I had an old Packard Bell in my younger days and it was not able to be upgraded except for Packard Bell parts which sucks...So I stick with the high end brands that can do what I want... Will be getting a la[top soon myself and am looking at ASus which is the brand of my current PC. Had no isssues so far and its about 4 years old....

3. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    acer :D

4. ennio

ennio Guest

Good point. I can agree with you because I have the same problems with so called "support" from Dell.

5. ennio

ennio Guest

Good decision.

6. BluzBug

BluzBug MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2008
    That's like asking "What's the BEST Beer?" :)

7. rdyoung

rdyoung MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Believe it or not, Crap is a technical term. My last 3 laptops consisted of 2 gateways and my current is an acer. for 500$ I couldn't have done better on any of the three.

HP-Compaq+dell are craptastic pcs. Compaq couldn't seem to get the airflow right in their laptops, I have never used one that didnt fry your lap while using it. Dell uses the cheapest parts possible that usually have somethings crippled or flatout removed. You may pay less for a dell, but if you put 2 machines with supposedly identical specs side by side, the dell will lose.

8. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned ASUS, good solid notebooks, easy to mod being AMI and well priced with a 2yr warranty, some even 3yr warranty.

9. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    No Question, Buy a Dell

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #30 Dolorous Edd, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    The OP specified Dell and Acer, I think because those are what are available in his city/country

That said, premium laptops are available, Asus, Alienware, Fujitsu has made good (and bad) ones but those start at a completely different level. BTW, if any of those brands made a $500 laptop it would be just another $500 laptop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. rdyoung

rdyoung MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Very true... The other issue that arises, no matter who the laptop was made by, the bloatware that wastes not only HD space, but resources as well as slows down bootup and shutdown. I would suggest to anyone buying a new laptop or pc, do yourself a favor and before you even turn on the pc for the first time, wipe that SOB and do a clean install.

12. ennio

ennio Guest

I agree. The only way to make new laptop faster.

+1 for Edd.

13. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #33 silvergate, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    " I'm about to buy a new notebook TODAY - ACER or DELL? " nothing to talked about here since its a general question. be more specific. what models are you talking about here. look for models of acer and dell you like, then use google for review or visit this site NBR. avoid shopping and buying in a day.

and also the warranty and service center is the most important. laptop parts will fail over time even if you take good care of it.

advertisement: Go lenovo!

14. ennio

ennio Guest

For Dell and Lenovo it is very important, because they use cheap or defective parts, mostly.

15. maktucali

maktucali MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    i say dell

i had an acer and the power button got stuck one day and sure enuf the button disapeared in side the laptop. if the power button was built that s**tty.
    imagine the rest of the parts of the laptop.

i had several hp machines the lcd hinge broke off on 2 of them and the other one had stuck pixels after 6 months of use

the toshiba had very weak battery

my dell machines are solid and running even my 5 year old dell laptop has a better battery than my toshiba.

16. Nburnes

Nburnes MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    I have been running Acer's for years and haven't had a problem with any of them.

17. fires

fires MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2009
    In my experience Acer products are cheap nasty piles of junk and thier customer service is a joke. Dell make good products and if anythhing goes wrong you send it back and they just send you another, but Acer ...dont get me started!

18. UltraLow

UltraLow MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    i think it's weird getting a laptop with some dude's name on it. i vote for acer. i hav an acer with SU7300 processor and am very happy with it. battery lasts forever

congrats spkleader :)

19. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008