Implement product key into bios MSDM table of VMware

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by triggat, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry if you see that as an <whatever>! If you've any problem with what I wrote, please send an PM and I promise you'll get an answer! Point was his answers to a post of mine. If I'm wrong, fine, I'll admit that, no problem with that but not forget, I've the same right's as anybody else on this forum

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I also believe there is a limit of 3 reinstallations on Windows 8 for OEM auto activate then you will have to phone MS .. The silent online process might better be described as "validation" .. There is no official "Windows Genuine Advantage" as of yet that I am aware of for Windows 8 and when there is this all might change :biggrin:

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I maybe wrong but I could see that happening with OEM (i,e, system builders licence) but not with OEM:DM

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Does anyone know if ei.cfg settings affect the OEM auto-activation at all?

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If the auto-activation isn't calling for the MSDM Table and it's P-Key, may have the effect for to ask for the P-Key input while start setup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you bought an "Open" Thai version OEM Windows 8, it's depend on which Activation Server it connects: Singapore or Mumbai/India. Second atemp on the same activation server will ask you to call MS!

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried a win8 version on an OEM while using an ei.cfg set to various things such as the [channel]
    retail, oem, volume, or _default

A lot of my curiosity stems from my AIO stuff. Someone once said that it didn't work for a toshiba laptop that came with win8, but I don't really have a system to test with so I have no idea why.
    AFAIK it could just mean that setting the channel to Retail stops the OEM pkey search. I don't know...

8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    well lets find out. Ill give it a shot since I have a couple systems with MDSM Core keys inside. BBIAF :)

-ed-
    Before I do, I place the ei.cfg in the iso/usb and choose to install Core to see if the Pkey is grabbed by the installation correct?

I already know that if I choose Pro during this it will ask for a key unless I use pid.txt. But I have never actually tried a Core install with the ei.cfg, so interested :D

10. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #51 Humphrey, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If you're testing whether having a ei.cfg effects the OEM activation then you need this:

Code:
    [EditionID]

[Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

Which as you know allows for the edition selection screen to be seen.

11. MrBrazil

MrBrazil MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2013
    Basic question but whats the difference with a OEM windows and DVD release?

12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Chances are on a Windows side it is nothing major.
    On a Retail/OEM side its either a clean installed OS or bloated with OEM software and drivers.

I do not think there is any real difference between the two installs (out side of the bloatware) other than licensing.

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #54 EFA11, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    well I tried a couple ways, I did

Code:
    [EditionID]

[Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]
    and

Code:
    [EditionID]

[Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]
    both act the same and Core key was not pulled from the system and needed entered manually both tries. If I boot to media without an ei.cfg it detects and installs win8 core without an option to do anything (as expected).

-ed-
    BTW I am reinstalling everything lmao I made a fast image of a system and then formated to try the above. The one time I didn't verify the integrity of the image it was corrupt and wouldn't restore the system. Glad it wasn't anything crucial (lesson learned for the 1000 time hehe)

14. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  16. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  17. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've always used oem source. I don't think it makes a difference though. I do have ei.cfg on my key & just select the OS/Index I want. My wims already have keys included. The media looks pretty much the same to me.
    As far as I can see, it's up to your product key. The retail key works for oem install.
    If you use the oem key, you are crippled as in you can't use setupcomplete, etc. Retail key you can...

18. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    This thread is going nowhere!! there is no loader for windows 8 and there never will be any oem activation hack for windows 8 !!! No work around nothing!! buy a laptop with windows 8 preinstalled!! u have a unique OEM:DM key and MSDM table in your bios be it core, pro, or core single language!! too many people posting bull s**t on here without the proof in pictures !! and pisthai I don't believe you did what you did with that acer machine for a second!!!