In need of a simple way to remotely shut down my sons computer.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rab, Mar 20, 2011.

1. pierrejaquet

pierrejaquet MDL Member

Jan 14, 2010
    why not just let him live his life and be happy his own way ? :smartass:

2. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    And the theory you posted actually do work! I know this because I've tried this.
    The problem arrived once he got homework to do on the computer, which effectively threw the rulebook out the window and I never saw the rules again so to speak.
    And this shut down command I need is to make the new rules stick. He needs to realize that if he doesn't apply to the rules there will be no warning! The computer will die dead in its track without saving...
    If homework in the background is lost due to this, well tough luck! You were suppose to do the homework first!

At least that's the theory anyway.

So I agree on your comment, thoe in my part of the world, advise comes in spades and pills sparsely, which is a good thing. Tho the pills really do work wonders, they are no miracle fix it all solution.

And thanks for the advise. It's sound advise for anyone who is in contact with ADHD.

/Rab.

3. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #23 Rab, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    (OP)
    Just remembered i renamed the account after setting it up! That's probably why it won't work. :doh:
    I'll just create a new one and get rid of the old one and retry...

Yup! That's the problem al right. Now i even get remote desktop to work. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Because he'll need an education so he can be happy his own way later in life too.

You know, little things like getting a job and money. Not the universal solution for everything, but it sure as h**l makes it easier!

:smartass:

/Rab.

5. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #25 zahnoo, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    My daughter, now 32, is/was ADHD and she got her college degree and is now a medical trchnician. Each case is different and requires different measures. First thing I'd think you need to do is have a long talk with the physician and maybe schedule some counseling time. ADHD is controllable and strong wise parenting is a real positive if not a necessity. They have a reduced attention span, but they're far from stupid and do respond to proper and appropriate "lay the law down" parenting. Proper and appropriate being operative words along with follow through. Generally, attempts to control the child by indirect means will never work, all you're doing is challenging them and some will feed on that. Your child's problem is not hardware related, it's software related... the mushy software component between the ears. Talk to the doctor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Isn't a dad supposed to have a nice talk with his son about this?
    Remember, ALWAYS REMEMBER, that in the end your son will be smarter. If his pc is shutting down at random times he may find out "unplug network = fun can go on!". If it's at a regular basis he may find the sceduled task and may be able to remove it. And if he doesn't know enough of computers to do this he'll have a friend that does.

For every problem there's a solution, and in this case the problem is forced shutdown caused by dady. And if he's willing to, your sun will eventually find the solution to this problem.

Better have a talk about it. Or put his pc in the livingroom so you can see what he's doing. Give him a "point" everyday he follows the rules, and if he has 20 or 30 points you buy a cd for him, this kind of tricks can also work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Done that, this is the strategy we came up with. To make a long story short. All the normal steps and messures is laid in place, as of the Doctors and mine plan. This is just the "Judge" giving the sentence for when he ignores the well laid down law.

The ADHD part is dealt with in other ways, this is just ONE of the many tools used in that subject. Not by any means the only, or for that mater the most major one. This is to let him know that I can, and will follow through on the threat of denying him playtime until he is finished with homework.

/Rab.

8. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    The problem isn't that he doesn't agree that he has to do the homework, he actually does. And no he isn't stupid either, quite the contrary. The problem is the lack of focus and the need of having fun.
    This makes it quite hard for him to follow through on the agreement of doing homework.
    Now, the theory goes... If he realizes that mean old dad actually will and does kill off the fun, he'll soon realize that boring first followed by massive amount of fun is better than fun in ten minutes and then no computer.
    Giving the theoretical result of finished homework, which he can, if needed, finish in a "jiffy" when he wants to.
    As I said, he isn't stupid.

9. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Yup, that's what I realized just a few minutes ago... Stupid really to believe he wouldn't realize...

Taking a looksie at the Radmin 3.

Thanks.

/Rab.

10. Saimon6

Saimon6 MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2011
    i prefer use actymac. com ActyMac DutyWatch Remote.It’s prog for remote computer monitoring from iPhone.