Inability to install Bigpond Media Manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by eye-for-detail, Mar 8, 2008.

1. eye-for-detail

eye-for-detail MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2008
    I tried to update the Bigpond Media Manager (a program to view downloaded movies, - has DRM integrated) when an attempted movie download failed to open the program, and gave an error message ("The application has encountered an error and will now close'). The updated version would not install because it advised that I needed to uninstall the old version first using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows XP Control Panel. The problem is that when I try to use this, the Bigpond Media Manager is not in the list of installed programs.
    The program also does not appear in a list of installed software when I use Belarc Advisor, RegSeeker, and TUT (The Ultimate Troubleshooter). Nevertheless my attempts to install the newly downloaded Bigpond Media Manager software always result in the advice that I have first to uninstall the old version. I have sought help from Bigpond Movies technical help but after 4 months have still not been provided with a solution, and don't really expect that they will be able to help.
    Other things I have tried without success include:
    · Using System Restore to take the computer back to the earliest possible date.

· Uninstalling and re-installing Windows Media Player 11 (this is my default viewing program and is linked to Bigpond Media Manager as an alternative movie viewer).

· Deleted all folders associated with Bigpond Media Manager in the Programs folder of Windows.

· Deleted all references to Bigpond Media Manager in the Registry.

· Run the "Clean the Registry" command in RegSeeker.

I cannot think of anything else to try, other than doing a clean install of Windows XP, which I am reluctant to do because of the hours involved due to the large number of installed programs which would then have to be re-loaded.

It appears the InstallAware Wizard associated with the Bigpond Media Manager software is detecting some reference to the old software somewhere, but I don't know enough to identify where this might be (other than the places I've already tried).

Can you think of any other possibilities?

2. Bigponduser

Bigponduser MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2009
  3. techy

techy MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2009
    check the Microsoft .NET Framework drivers loaded on your system.
    It stated at the Bigpond site.
    Minimum System Requirements for Vista. Microsoft .NET 3.0 Framework must be installed and WMP11 make sure your system fits this criteria.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. msgjunkie

msgjunkie MDL Novice

May 11, 2009
    I recently started using Bigpond Movie Downloads via Windows Vista Media Center and had the same problem.

After first installing Bigpond Media Manager the application displays error 'The application has encountered an error and will now close'.

Simply rebooting my PC immediately after installation of Bigpond Media Manager fixes the problem for me.

It appears that after the install a reboot is required, but not initiated by the install program.