Inadvertantly Used diskpart to clean partition, Can I get it back

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by IronAddict, Feb 20, 2010.

1. IronAddict

IronAddict MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    #1 IronAddict, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    I was messing around with getting rid of the 100 MB system partition the other night, and I make a noob mistake. I was on the wrong partition in diskapart>select disk>clean.

I did have the good sense to not do a thing to this drive since then. It is a 1.5 TB drive that I had originally partitioned in half. But now since the Win 7 system partition is on there I am not sure I can do what I would think can bring this back to life. It was my secondary drive full of vids, pics, and music. No OS, but what I am thinking I should be able to do is just create the partitions again and everything come back without having to do any REAL data recovery. Nothing has been written to the disk, and it was not really formatted. Everything I have read about the CLEAN function is basically just removing the partition information.

Does anyone have any suggestions or the best way to handle this? This drive will eventually have my Win 7 retail on one of the partitions since I can not upgrade my other installed internal 500 GB drive since it has the Win 7 RC on it.

2. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IronAddict

IronAddict MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks Starams, I will check out Paragon's I am trying EaseUs right now that has a free home edition and not liking where it is going. It wants to basically make a recovery by copying the files to another location. Problem is it is seeing too many "partitions" and not giving me the most current. So in turn it is supposedly backing up say an mp3, and but copies a pdf...obviously not the right partition or file structure.

I just keep thinking it should be a case of just re-creating the partition and abracadabra it is all back since it was never formatted, deleted or copied over.

4. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    You're welcome. I can't say for sure what's going on, some problems are hard to shoot without seeing it. If you have any USB sticks or external drives connected might be a good idea to disconnect them until you get this mess straightened out. Keep in mind, if a partition is deleted (not formatted), the next partition under it will move up and take its place.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    IronAddict,
    If I understand correctly, you are no longer able to boot into your system?
    In that case, boot from the Win7 DVD and chose Command prompt (i think its under recovery tools). Then type the following
    Diskpart
    List disk
    Select disk ...(select your active disk here)
    list volume
    select volume... (select your Win7 partition)
    Active

After that reboot again and choose startup repair. let the process complete, may take a few reboots. This will rebuild your mbr.