initramfs error after kernel update on liveUSB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SOCRATE_MMXII, Jan 25, 2016.

1. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 with kernel 3.19. on a liveUSB with persistence (4GB casper-rw file).
    If I update the kernel, after reboot I get initramfs error.
    After searching the net, I understood the fact that after kernel update, initramfs and initrd must be updated in order to use the new kernel, but I didn't find a way to do it.
    I found a nice piece of software called kernelUpdate (depends on lynx and xterm) which can update to kernel 4.4 instead of 4.2 present in Mint Updater.
    After downloading and unpacking the DEB files, kernelUpdate gives me the same initramfs and initrd errors. Luckily, kernelUpdate doesn't make my system unbootable, like Mint Updater.
    My question is how to edit/create new initramfs and initrd files to use the new kernel?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #2 Mutoid, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Thank Mutoid, I've read that page days ago while searching for the question in the title.
    The USB install will wear & tear the USB in time, while liveUSB won't.
    Another aspect of the liveUSB is that I can use it on multiple laptops/PCs without any problems. ;)

P.S. There is a way, but I didn't find it...just yet.

4. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    OK - gotcha !

Now I understand why you would want to do that.

Good luck ! .... please post back if you are able to achieve it.