Install Vista on Window 7 with dual boot options .... Possible

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cplmckenzie, Mar 1, 2010.

1. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Hey,
    Need some help from you guys here (again)... I just spent the weekend re installing my Windows 7 OS after attempting to in install Vista on a seperate partition on my laptops hd.

I had 7 already installed and when I put Vista on it would not reboot after initial installation restart.... it just hung.

No boot manager options to select between OS ... no direct launch of 7.

Is there a way to install Vista on my laptop....

I am using a broadband modem that the phone service provider plans to provide no drivers for the device for Windows 7.

XP or Vista are my options for a 2nd OS that will work with my broadband modem..

....btw...
    will be reading threads in the meantime.

regards....:worthy::worthy::worthy:

2. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    You could have tried booting from the Windows 7 DVD and trying the repair boot option.

Generally it works best if you install the oldest OS first (eg: Vista) then try installing the newer one (Windows 7).

You should demand a modem that connects by Ethernet from your ISP. Is your modem USB? If so, you can try setting up a virtual machine (eg: XP mode), install the modem drivers in there, let the virtual machine capture the USB device, then run ICS to share the internet connection with the physical machine.

3. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Hey,

Thx... this virtual machine I would set up from where and how.... ain't really knowing about how to go about that

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I assume installing the driver in compatability mode doesn't work - works for a lot of older hardware drivers for either XP or Vista - most Vista drivers work in 7 but some don't install except when run in compatability mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...