Install W8.1 with W8 key

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dariwonka, Oct 28, 2013.

1. dariwonka

dariwonka MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2012
    Hello,
    I have my W8 key. I would like to install W8.1. Is there any way to install using my W8 key? Or the just way that there is, is updating via windows store?

If another day I want to install windows 8.1 again... Do I have to first install W8 and then update to W8.1?? I hope there is some way to do it, otherwise, its so stupid!!

Thanks

2. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Yes of course you can install 8.1 using your 8 key, just use the available 8.1 Generic keys to install and later use your 8 key using the elevated command prompt and activate.

Cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bamboutos

bamboutos MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Not all, you can also fresh install windows8.1

4. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    You could even adopt 8.1 via store.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This has been answered innumerable times but still
    1. Install win 8.1 with generic/trial key
    2. Activate online with 8 key. Can use cmd too but the traditional online method in control panel/system also works as well.

Do it again for future installs. Your 8 key is good for 8.1 through store upgrade and iso fresh install (using 8.1 generic key).

6. empireum

empireum MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I think you can't install Windows 8.1 GA using Windows 8 key.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    You cant install 8.1 by typing 8 key at install screen but you can activate with it in windows. There is the difference.

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you can use the 8 key but need to ship around using gerenic key first and then use your 8 key for activation. Direct input of 8 key doesn't work.
    If you input generic key when prompted you can overwrite it with your 8 key and install. This is a funny way to do but it works and activates online. No need to wait until installation is finished and use cmd or such :biggrin:

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #9 acyuta, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    As a matter of safety for windows install, I prefer not to input/activate my key till the system is nearly fully built up and acronis image is to be taken (3-4 hours). I have had experiences of botching up windows/software install and losing one activation. That was however in the past before I became a member of MDL and got hold of ATM (Joshcell)

Anyway thanks for the above method too.