Install Win 8 out of a running Win 7 and keep drive letter assignments?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Zaphire, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    You used to be able to install Win 7 from an already running Win 7 to another drive and keep your drive letter assignments. i.e. Say you were running Win 7 on C: and you wanted another installation on D: with Win 7 installed as D:
    You insert a DVD or USB Key and ran setup and direct the new install to D:
    The second install would have a drive letter D:

You do not seem to be able to do this with Windows 8

Is there any way this can be achieved?

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I wish I had an answer, I'm with you. I noticed that because at least 50-75% of the time I reinstalled Windows versions in the past (from XP on) I would start the installation from within the previous one (if still working) in order to keep my drive letter assignments. Not a deal killer since I can normally reassign them after, but it made it easier, anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. avnerk

avnerk MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2009
    #3 avnerk, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    Yes there is a way :)
    Instead of running setup.exe from the root of the installation dir,
    there is a setup.exe inside the 'sources' folder.
    run it from there and u can decide to which partition to install it to
    and it will keep your drive assignments

4. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 HALIKUS, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Backup your drive names \ numbering, and your shared folders. Then just run the reg after the install and reboot. Put this in a bat or cmd file.
    This works in Win7, i don't see why it wouldn't work in Win8.

Code:
    @echo off
    REGEDIT /E "1_Drive_names_Backup.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices"
    REGEDIT /E "2_Shares_Backup.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares"

thanks for the tip, superbubble.

5. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #5 SuperBubble, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Wrap 'em up in [\CODE][/\CODE] tags (remove the backslashes).

Code:
    And enjoy your unformatted, monospaced results! :)
    Bonus edit for Halikus: You're welcome. :)

Bonus bonus edit for Halikus:

Tested and works on Windows Server 2012 RC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sadsac

sadsac MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    There is a downside to installing this way. If the hard drive dies and you've imaged the partitions, upon restoration to a new hard drive, the non-C OS will likely be mucked, because the non-C drive letter will be entrenched throughout the OS that boots from non-C, yet because of the new hard drive, the the non-C OS will try to boot as C now. I've never found an easy way around this, including saving the drive assignments from the registry. That doesn't work because the replacement hard drive with have a new hardware identifier as recognized by OS like win7. I always install each MS OS as C now.

7. DesertJerry

DesertJerry MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2010
    Tried it - did not work; ended up with Win8 installing itself on C:\ - which is NOT what I had selected. For now I can live with it but if the final does not include a real Custom install option then I will not move to Win8.