Install Win10 to Activate Then Reinstall Win7, Question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by syga, Feb 12, 2016.

1. syga

syga MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    #1 syga, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Hello,

I have a fairly new PC that I build last year. I'm using Win7 ultimate. Everything works perfectly.

Windows 7 support from microsoft is ending Jan 2020 and I'm hoping my pc will last longer than that.

I've tried Win10 on a different machine, didn't really like it, but I know I need to upgrade sometime, and I want to take advantage of the free Win10 activation offer before it expires this summer.

So, I was thinking of doing this:

Make a disc image of my current setup with Win7.
    Upgrade to Win10, keep it for a week, let it activate so my system information is stored by microsoft.
    Reinstall Win7 through the disc image.
    Install Win10 in a few years.

My question is, do you think that this would work?
    How long does microsoft keep my Win10 activation information?

Thanks.

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I think that if windows 10 is activated on your machine it will last life time as far as we know for now but it is an different story if you change hardware in the future then you will lose your activation happend to me once ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Why not just install Win 10 onto a separate HDD ? Leave your Win 7 drive alone.

Get a spare drive, load Win 7 onto it, activate it how ever you choose, do the Win 10 upgrade, then do a fresh install of 10 making sure your fully activated. Run it to get used to it, then when it bores you put your original Win 7 drive back in.

Job done.

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Why not just dual boot, that way you can keep win 10 updated:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014