Install Windows 7 Ultimate SP0 or wait for Windows 7 SP1? [:-S]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HamidFULL, Aug 10, 2009.

1. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Windows 7 is really just Vista SP3. Even Microsoft somewhat acknowledges that. It is just version 6.1 of Windows while Vista SP0-SP2 is version 6.0.

2. maorosh

maorosh MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    windows 7 rtm is stable release & it just fine
    remove VISTA crap & join The "Seven"

3. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Except you're missing a few OS's...

Windows 95 wasn't bad.
    Windows 98 had problems, fixed with Second Edition.
    Windows 2000 was GREAT -- I don't know why you think it was a joke...
    Windows ME was horrendous.
    Windows XP was HORRIBLE at the start, but improved with patches.
    Windows Vista wasn't THAT bad, it had it's issues, but was mostly just a lot of negative hype.
    Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been.

4. HamidFULL

HamidFULL MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    well, good discussion about Visa vs. 7

could someone please list the known problems with W7? and what about Vista SP2?

PS : its so bad that we could not update our W7 until 22 Oct release!

5. basg

basg MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    i agree, win2k was the best OS at RTM compared to other os'es when they hit RTM

( excluding w7 )

6. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    vista sp2 vmc does not end avi playback right until you install tv pack 2008 and new bugs come out like stb with ir blaster channel up or down gets lock and keeps changing the channel without stoping until you reboot Seven work with no bugs at all

7. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    When i was thinking about windows 2000 being a joke for an OS i was thinking about the ME edition. I really did not try out win 2000. I tried Win 98 SE, then tried ME then went back to 98 SE till Win Xp came out.

8. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    when from 98se to win 2000 it was not that bad

9. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Yep... 2K was a stable OS however with HORRIBLE P'n'P support (like freezes etc.).
    XP was polished in that direction but full of bugs (anyway - I have had the OS updated every day so for me it wasn't like a hell-hole full of bugs - they were squashed every update, but I've had my fight with blaster at the beginning ;) )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. MrCobra

MrCobra MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    Windows 7 is listed as and returns 6.1 for compatibility reasons. When programs that were written for Vista are run on 7, and they look for the Windows version number, they see version 6 and everything works as it was supposed to.

11. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Thats only partially true. Just making the version 6.x does not mean that apps & drivers will automatically work. There still has to be required OS components underneath it all to provide that compatibility.

In this case, the core of W7 is still the Vista core components & kernel and THATS what is providing the compatibility.

Keeping the version as 6.x may avoid some app & driver issues depending on how they validate OS versions, but make no mistake this IS essentially Vista SP3 or perhaps more apporpriately it should have been called Vista SE (much like W98-SE or Windows 98 - Second Edition).

Don't let the pretty eye candy (as much as I also like it) fool you, it is still Vista under the hood...:D

Really makes me laugh when I see people bash Vista, then almost in the same sentence say how much they like W7. I think it just shows their stupidity for not understanding that W7 IS still Vista !

12. tengtengvn

tengtengvn MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    People like you make me laugh when you are saying that too. How much do you think you know?

13. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Although it did get ALLOT recoded and cleaned up and does run 10x better than Vista ever has on any PC in my home. It's just a much nicer OS all around and as most comparison charts show Windows 7 blows Vista out of the water time and time again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #34 silvergate, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    if you want vista then use vista.

if you want win7 than vista then use win7.

ps. to tell you the truth win 7 was made not from scratch but from vista.
    but its not right to call people stupid who cant understand that.
    end of discussion.

this thread should be close now.

15. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    I will suggest to keep on Vista SP2, I didn't mean Vista is better then Win7, just because software/driver are still not ready. for example, my Intel dual port giga adapter have problem in Win7, but not in Vista, other minor bug, such as the gadget Calender will show wrong "Week" when using specific locate.

it don't need to be rush in, just wait for more support for win7.

p.s. Even XP mode are still in RC.

16. snowflake

snowflake MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2008
    No one remember all the hassle and all those crashes with windows 3/95/98 anymore? Thank god they're gone!

Vista does have a bad reputation, not easily washed away, but SP1 made it stable, and SP2 even more so. Vista IS better than its reputation.

17. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Agreed. Lot's of people just stayed on their first impression when it came out and haven't seen it's evolution.

18. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    #39 secr9tos, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Vista RTM is unfinished Longhorn and at the same time Win7 pre-alpha 'because Vista: 6.0 ; Win7: 6.1

19. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009