Install Windows 8 Now, Activate Later?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MWisBest, Oct 27, 2012.

1. MWisBest

MWisBest MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm currently having issues with my order for Windows 8, as are a lot of people. I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade to Windows 8 from my Windows 7 installation, and activate it when I finally get my key. Will I be missing out on anything with not having it activated? Is there a time limit on this? Thanks.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why not? I think there wouldn't be any problem with that. But keep in mind, as long as you didn't activate Windows 8, some features will not work and you could also not personalize your version. Use the KMS for an Pro GVLK key for the time being to get everything working and change late to the legit key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MWisBest

MWisBest MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    Any way you can be a little more specific as to what won't be working? I'd rather not bother with KMS so I gotta make sure I'll have everything I need to have a useable OS.

4. jackie_jagger

jackie_jagger MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    are you having the "order couldn't be processed" error? I had that happen on launch day and my credit card was charged twice.

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    You know, that you can reject false bookings on your card very easily!!!

6. jackie_jagger

jackie_jagger MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    problem is I'm on holiday and I can't contact my credit card provider to do that. I asked Microsoft store and they told me that they haven't charged my card but it was just a pre authorization check. It still hasn't shown up on my Credit Card statements so I'm waiting a while before I try again.