Install Windows on an External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Monoshang, May 11, 2010.

1. Monoshang

Monoshang MDL Novice

May 8, 2010
    I don't think so. I tried to install windows 7 directly from my desktop's (Windows 7), (same concept), it didnt work.

For some reason it just won't boot up. I plugged it SSD in on desktop and removed the primary HDD, still, won't boot.

I think I'm just gonna try installing it from boot up DVD from my desktop and plugged it back into the laptop. If that won't work.... then... I guess its about time for a new machine. ><

2. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    i have the solushion on your destop create 2 partishions on the laptop hdd
    one 4 gigs the other will be the remaining space use the ms bootable usb tool to put the 7 dvd onto the
    4 gig partishion then plug the hdd into the laptop should let you install windows now

i highly recomend the 4 gig partishion be made seciond and the main space first
    that way you can reclame the 4 gigs after windows is installed

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    That looks good to me, as before remove all HDD except SSD, install to the SSD, and when it reboots for the first time, power off and plop the SSD to the laptop to finish the installation. I'm relatively sure the machine is not tied to the hardware until after the first reboot when the 'specialize' pass normally runs. Good luck.

At least this way we know the system partition and BCD will be created properly.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I think you've got it right - "I guess its about time for a new machine."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...