Install Xp post-sp3 update pack

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by px35487, Dec 27, 2012.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  2. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #22 Atari800XL, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks urie, yes I know about VLK and blacklisting. I do want to learn more about that, but I'm just not very comfortable with it (yet?). I'm just taking this one step at a time... Thanks for warning me though, I must take some time to try it, maybe first on a non-essential machine...

Vymrdal, thanks for the NL part of the MUI pack, that would be great!!

[EDIT: The setup went OK so far!!! Pretty great, now I'm taking a break and will check in later for Vyrmdal's NL pack (no hurry...)]
    Thanks again!!!

3. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Vymrdal, thank you so much for preparing that download specially for me. Very very much appreciated!! I was going to stop for today (a few hours ago), but how can I quit when you guys are so helpful! I used the ENU version from before (tomorrow I'll try integrating the MUI stuff), but I did test the updates with a "manual" launch. The MUISetup.exe warned about changed system files, but that could be skipped. Just a few more qustions:
    - Since you've been so nice already, could you please supply the syntax for these updates for commandlines.txt? Only if you have them at hand from your own version, of course...
    - When the MUISetup.exe is run at setup, is the admin account also Dutch, are will this stay English?

OK, once again: THANK YOU!!! :flowers2:

4. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #24 Atari800XL, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    Switched at runtime is great (but changed unattendly at setup time would be great as well). No more time today (I'm half asleep already.....) [EDIT: Hmm, I'll study the readme tomorrow, I guess it's possible to set language to Dutch immediately from setup]

Boy, never would have thought I'd come this far in just one day.... And last week I've done this for W7, W8Ent32, W8Pro32, W8Ent64 and W8Pro64 as well... Once again, couldn't have done this in a million years without you great MDL people!

5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #25 Atari800XL, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Setting this also seems to work:

languagepending.reg:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "MultiUILanguageId"="00000413"
    "MUILanguagePending"="00000413"

6. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    The base iso is working perfectly (XPSP3 enu, OnePiece updates integrated with Ryan, mass storage integrated with DPBase). I'm still fooling around with setting it to Dutch.

I wanted to do some tests on MUISETUP.EXE (Dutch) on the installed US version, before including it in the ISO. I tried this:

muisetup.exe /i 0413 /d 0413 /r /s (install Dutch, make it Default, no Reboot message, Silent)

Well, it's not silent, also it displays a System File Protection error. I'm not sure what's wrong here, is this supposed to work OK when installed from cmdlines.txt? Then why doesn't it work silently and without error on a normal setup?

However, after finishing, the language is installed correctly, and when I use the .reg setting I mentioned in my last message, language is set to Dutch after reboot. So, it works, but not very "cleanly".
    Until I find a way to silently include Dutch into the ISO, I'll stick to this procedure, maybe I'll include it in my PostInstall system for the time being.
    If anybody has some tips on this, that would be great. Then, I'll have the perfect up-to-date XPpostSP3-nl.
    Again, thanks to all who have helped until now.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I haven't done anything out of the ordinary, just the steps I mentioned (enu source, Onepiece, Ryan, DPBase). No idea why I get the SFP error. As I said, it still works.

Didn't know about the outdated setup, will try the alternative you mentioned next. (I'm glad I have a TrueImage backup of the base US setup, will restore that one for testing, until it works!)

Thanks all, will try all your suggestions!

9. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I used the updated \windows\mui\muisetup.exe, that got rid of the SFP error! Still not silent though (on a running system). Also tried using "-" with switches instead of "/", doesn't work (never does when someone suggests that).

Next try will be to test this from cmdlines.txt. So I guess it will not be silent there either (but I'll let it surprise me). After that, more testing on the Dutch october pack, etc. Maybe I'll even stick to the US version...

10. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #32 Atari800XL, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Too bad, I can install almost all my stuff silently, so this one is the exception... Never mind, as long as I can put it in cmdlines.txt...

EDIT: Meanwhile, I tested the Dutch update pack (october 2012), using Ryan, with IE8 and Net3, Dutch XPSP3. Works very well! Not sure how many crucial updates this one misses. And only today I read about another new XP/IE6/7/8 vulnerability, so that one is not covered in any update yet, of course.
    [EDIT2: Checked it with Windows Update Catalog. Downloaded 8 updates, 35mb total, can all be installed silently in 2m minutes, so not too bad at all).

Maybe somebody can answer me:
    - Do any of you know if there will be a new Dutch updatepack (maybe there are Dutch "updaters" that are also active here on MDL)? Of course, I'll start/ keep reading the "Ryan" forum.

Maybe a coincidence: Today I got the new German "c't Magazin" (one of the best computer magazines), which has a few big articles about how everybody should use 2013 to say a final goodbye to XP. In their opinion, using it beyond that year is "Russian Roulette".

My conclusion for now:
    - The Dutch pack is very nice, produces a small i386 folder, installs fast, only misses a few updates that can easily be installed silently.
    - The US pack is also great, updated better, but also a bit larger, takes longer to integrate/ install. And for Dutch it requires extra steps (and time, and size).

I'll keep both packs and both ISO's around, but will keep the Dutch one in Dutch, and the US one in English, that seems best for now...

All in all whis has been a great learning experience for me, maybe it will come in handy for somebody sometimes. I'll be glad to share what I have learned. Thanks to all!!!