Installed an SSD on HP laptop can I put Win 10 on it withoug Raprdi Start errors ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nicholas440, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    I would like to put Windows 10 on my HP ENVY laptop. It originally came with Win 8 and a 750 GB HDD. Recently I thought I'd try for more speed, so I bought a 256 GB Samsung 850 EVO Solid State drive and I used the cloning software to clone my original hard drive to the SSD. I did this with a USB to IDE adapter cable and it transferred fine, and after installing it the Laptop booted real fast and ran very well. I then wiped the original drive using Diskpart "clean all" feature and that takes off all the partitions data etc, and I gave it a volume letter of D and formatted it.

I then installed it into the empty drive bay that came with my laptop so I could have some storage, , so far so good. It would not show up when I booted it , so I had to download and update my BIOS to recognize it and I ran Disk Manager, gave it the drive letter of D : Storage, and it showed up after rebootin.

Everything seemed fine, and very fast until a few days later I went to the store and left the laptop running, so it put itself to sleep while I was gone. When I came back and woke it up, I got a blue screen saying Opps we're sorry but your PC ran into a problem and we're gathering information and will reboot it for you, which it did, and it boots fast.
    The error listed was the IAStoreAV.sys which I found out is the Intel Rapid Storage driver where your hybernation and sleep files go, so each time it goes into sleep or if I shut it down and boot up the next day I usually get that screen error and it restarts but it's fine, it boots into Windows and I'm good to go without errors.

I've read and read and cannot find a way to fix this issue as it has something to do with Raid volumes also.

My question is... seeing as the SSD I bought is much smaller than what HP had in the laptop can I still install Windows 10 onto it and will Windows 10 correct the iastoreav.sys error I get? When I go into the BIOS I don't see much for tweaking the drives, it shows a menu for a Raid setup and lists both my SSD and my HDD drive.

I read on an HP forum that HP puts a mSata disk or partition on the drive for hybernation and the pc looks for that when it comes out of sleep and it that isnt there you'll get that BSOD error and the pc will reboot.

I have Recovery CD's from HP but they are useless after you install and SSD drive, they will go all the way and install Windows, then at the end it will say it failed because the drive size does not match the oem etc etc, so the Recovery CD's are useless to me.

All I can think to do is put Win 10 on a USB stick and boot it from the USB and hope that Win 10 will provide for sleep and hybernation when it formats my SSD primary disk.

Am I on the right track or am I just wishful thinking? Any advice would be very helpful. I'm on Win 8.1 now but if I go into sleep mode when I come out it will get the BSOD and reboot, then I'll be ok again..for a while....256

Thank you in advance for any input. back in the old days of Windows we had to press "F 6 " during install to set up a Raid configuation but thats all changed now I suppose.... I have a 256 GB Samsung EVO SSD, and a Hitachi 750 GB HDD that came with this laptop. I'd like to install onto the SSD and use the Hitachi for storage.....

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 2happy

2happy MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Hi Nicholas,

I have just been through (virtually ) the same exercise you describe.

Last week I started with a brand new HP Probook G3 470 laptop which came with a 1TB HDD and no second drive bay, BUT provision for expansion to a M2 SSD.

I fitted a 120 gb EVO 850 M2 SSD (now set as the boot disk) swapped the existing 1tb HDD as storage. Oh, also added another 8gb ram and upgraded the Win 7 OS to Win 10 with the original supplied disk on the way.

It all went "clockwork" and no problems whatsoever, although I did elect to leave it as legacy boot and not change to GPT , as I felt there was too much that I could stuff up for little gain (although I could be wrong). I can tell you it is a vastly different machine now that it was straight out of the box!

You should also look at the HP side for driver dl's etc, some of the issues you list may be dealt with as upgraded drivers etc.

Now even Mr Samsung's Magician software optimizes the M2 and it's all working perfectly.

SO, go for it, I'm sure you'll get it going. :biggrin:

Mike

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    You can clone it but do try to reinstall soon when you have the time.
    I have both 850 EVO 250 GB and 850 Pro 256 GB and they are simply great.
    I sold 840 Pro 256 GB in Dec 2015 (2+ years) with 70 TB of writes and 0 errors.
    NVME SSDs are an option but that would require significant investment in hardware too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Well it's been a while since I've been able to work with my laptop I had pneumonia and that took up some time....

So far what I have done was I put in a newer driver for the Intel Rapid Storage driver and that allowed me to see more stuff in my BIOS listing.

What I have discovered is the BIOS tells me I have a 32 Gigabyte Volume it's marked Volume_000 and it's labled as a RAID volume however it's marked as " DISABLED" in BIOS. I have no option to ENABLE it, and I assume this is there Hewlett Packard hides the Hybernation and Sleep data which is why my Laptop gets creepy whenever I tried to hybernate it. I do have up at the top of that Volume a section that says " CREATE" a raid array.... So now what? I can't enable this crappy thing and I assume it's on the motherboard not on the hard disk. Or maybe it is on the disk because I cloned the original 750 GB mechanical drive and then wiped it via USB and reinstalled in the second drive bay as a storage drive.

Is is ok to delete that 32 gig Volume _000 ? Then create a new one? if so how to do this because it's a Raid array or does it have to be raid , I'm thinking they might have an option to just make it a small SATA volume but I don't know the in's and out's of doint that and I don't want to screw up the OS because the Laptop boots fine , I just shut it down when I'm done using it as I have no sleep or hybernation options....

I looked on Disk Management but there are no 32 gig volumes on my new SSD at all.....

Thanks guys I could use a boost .....