Installed Windows 7: Won't Detect Wireless Network Adaptor, Won't Detect sound card

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by davehouse, Dec 9, 2009.

1. davehouse

davehouse MDL Junior Member

Dec 9, 2009
    my wireless card is Atheros 802.11g wireless network adapter. I have the driver, can't update for the reason I gave in my last post.

2. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    anyone know of any other more active forums I could ask for help on?
    Can anyone here help me?

3. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    sorry i didn't reply sooner i only am on here once or twice a day. try what rasputinuk says, im sure that will help if not i will try to solve you issues

5. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    That's no proble I'm grateful you responded at all. Unfortunately it didn't work. Also do you think the graphics card is a lost cause?

6. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    anyone any input?

7. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    anyone at all?

8. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I think as a last resort, you shall just have to replace the wireless card with a new one, preferably the latest intel pro/wireless model, if you cannot find the appropriate card driver for windows 7 that works. This is what i did with my 5-year old notebook having a wlan card without win7 support: yanked the mini pci-e wlan card out and popped-in an equivalent intel pro/wireless wlan card with win7 driver support. The bad thing is, there is no win7 driver for the ati mobility 9100 igp graphics card, so i have to content with the standard vga driver, which do not support aero. Bad display, but good wireless.

Of course, it's your choice; you can continue looking for a driver or replace the wlan card. Cheers..

9. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    thanks but the way this thing is built it's nearly impossible to replace anything, built in obsolescence I guess.

I actually already have the drivers for it, it just won't show p in device manager.

10. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #51 noyod, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Considering that the wlan card does not show up in the network adapters section of the device manager, even if you have already installed the driver software, it means that the driver that you have installed is not the right one and it does not support the wlan card in your laptop. Looks like you have to search some more. Or have you checked the bios if the wlan card is enabled? Did you check the atheros website? Cheers....

11. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    #52 davehouse, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks for replyin. I know I have the right software because when I was sold the computer I was given a cd with all the drivers I need and when I run Everest (although it only shows up if I 'run as admin' for some reason) the wireless card shows up as the atheros 802.11g, and on my drivers cd in the wlan folder there is the driver for the atheros 802.11g. My problem is that even though I know I have the right driver I can't install it because it is a .sys and a .inf, not a .exe, so it's one of the ones where you have to right click the device in device manager, but it won't show up in device manager so I don't know what to do.

There is nothing on the atheros website except marketing for all their products.

I have no idea how to check the bios to see if the wlan card is enabled, how would I go about doing that?

*******EDIT: I went into BIOS > Advanced > Device Options, and the Wlan option isn't even there, in fact there is hardly anything there compared to the computer I am using to type this, which suggests that apart from not being able to detect my graphics card and Wlan, there is quite a lot Windows 7 isn't detecting for some reason.

What can I do to make windows 'see' my devices? There's nothing wrong with them. Everest can 'see' them and they worked fine under XP.

12. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    i have an idea. go to everst and and go to report. make sure when u do the report to do everything. save it and then put it online on rapidshare or filedropper. then post a link. i will look at all your drivers. post the ones that you need (example video driver) and i will find the correct ones for you. its currnly 1pm here i will come back on about 4 or 5 ish so if u can have to done by then i will be able to help you today. otherwise later tonight or tommorow but i will help. (and just a little heads up posting more messages doesn't make anyone respond faster)

13. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    Ok, will pm, just kept posting so the thread wouldn't die and I wouldn't miss out on anyone's advice.

14. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    actually can just post the two devices I need here:

1) Atheros 802.11g Wireless Adapter

2)ATI mobility Radeon 9600/9700 (M10/M11) Video Adapter

That's it, my wireless and video adapter.

Like I said, I have the drivers for my Wlan, I just can't install the driver because the files are .sys and .inf

Also, the catalyst driver ATI offers to cover my graphics card for Windows 7 didn't seem to work at all.

15. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    ok i will have them forf you by tomorrow.

16. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    I ran the atheros driver as admin and restarted but it didn't work. When I press the button it still won't switch on.

17. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009