Installing 7 from a SATA DVD problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rasputinuk, Dec 5, 2009.

1. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi,

I cannot install windows 7 from my SATA DVD with out the SATA drivers being present. Does anyone know of a way to do this i.e boot from a floppy to install the drivers then and the boot to the DVD. I know this can be done for an HDD?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    This should not be the case. Your bios loads the device at boot. Windows 7 does not need Sata drivers as did Vista for the most part. What brand of DVD Rom is it?

3. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    It's an LG attached to a Silicon Image SIL3114 add on controller it shows up in the BIOS Boot manager but refuses to boot....:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    I'm sorry about that Gentoo, I've just tried to boot from the DVD again and it works :eek: I put the wrong copy of Windows 7 in. But thanks anyway, I can now a clean install of 7.:D

5. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Please provide a little more info.

1. What happens when you try to boot from the DVD?
    2. Did you burn this DVD and if so how?
    3. Have you tried any other boot-able CD or DVD?

6. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Cool. Ignore the post above then.

7. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi Gentoo,

For some reason my system won't boot from the add in card if I have the onboard SATA controllers enabled. Strange that, but neither mind all sorted now....:D