Installing from .wim files directly using imagex.exe

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by fafhrd, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Stripakulina

Stripakulina MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Southerner

Southerner MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2014
    It does not work so perfectly for me. I can use GimageX, Dism, or ImageX and upload and apply an image (to identical hardware or even the very same box it came from) but it will not boot. GimageX has a "Boot" checkbox in the capture tab but checking that seems to make no difference. Setting the boot flag in dism and imagex does nothing. I posted to a Microsoft forum but only got told to run BCDEdit and then set the bootmgr but when I run BCDEdit it can find no store so I can not set a bootmgr. Something is missing and I have not figured out what but my images are not bootable when applied to another box or even the same box (after it is cleaned). Also, how is it different if the computer is EFI or UEFI rather than Bios controlled?

Thank you.

3. Southerner

Southerner MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2014
    That link appears to no longer be valid. The system would not allow me to leave the link in your quoted text. Do you have the source for it somewhere else? How do you insert the bootsec command as an automated process?