Installing Microsoft Games for Windows 7 Dark Netbook Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sebb, Mar 13, 2011.

1. sebb

sebb MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    Hi,

I installed Windows 7 Dark Netbook edition on my netbook. I noticed that the games(chess titans, solitaire, etc. have been removed completely from the Windows 7 Installation.

I tried via Control Panel/Programs and features to tick the Games checkbox but unfortunately there is no Games checkbox to tick,lol.It seems like the author of the dark netbook edition of windows 7 completely removed it.I tried copying the microsoft games folder from another windows 7 machine but the games dont open.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me with this.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks

2. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Try opening an elevated command prompt and typing the following:

"dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:InboxGames" without quotes, InboxGames is case sensitive.

3. sebb

sebb MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    Hi, thanks for the advice, i tried it but it gave me the following error:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:InboxGames

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 0x800f080c

Feature name InboxGames is unknown.
    A Windows feature name was not recognized.
    Use the /Get-Features option to find the name of the feature in the image and tr
    y the command again.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>

4. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Personally, I don't know Windows 7 Dark Netbook Edition, but it is obviously a customized Windows 7 image. It would seem that the creator of the image removed the InboxGames feature from the image.

I could not find any way of committing changes to the online image (your installed Windows 7).

I suggest doing a repair* install using an original Windows 7 image (can be found in the forum), or even better, a clean install with an original image.

After the installation, you can uncheck the features you don't need yourself.

*Repair install would be starting setup.exe from within Windows and choosing the Upgrade option. It should reinstall the Windows features, including games.

5. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I dont have an answer to your Question but I found this
    Windows 7 Dark Ultimate Netbook Edition SP1 (Feb 2011) | 2.16 GB
    I believe your best bet is to stay away from crap like this and get an utouched version

Removed Components:
    -Games
    -Projector Connectivity
    -Speech Support
    -Welcome Center
    -TV Tuner
    -NVIDIA & ATI Video Drivers
    -Audio Drivers
    -Printer & Scanners drivers
    -Fax Drivers & Service
    -Modem drivers
    -Smart Card Drivers
    -Bitlocker
    -Tablet PC
    -Natural Language
    -Windows Help
    -Media Center

Post install:
    uTorrent 2.20
    Adobe Flash Player 10
    CCleaner 3.02
    WinRar 3.93
    WinAmp 5.601
    The KMPlayer
    Office 2003
    Dark Theme
    Windows 7 Activator

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sebb

sebb MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    Im installing it on a netbook.

the untouched full blown version of Windows 7 Ultimate takes too much resources. The dark edition is apparantly less heavy on resources..Do you guys know of another way of installing windows 7 on a netbook and configure it that it wont be so heavy on ram etc.?

7. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Actually, there is a way. Either use a program like vLite to create a customized image from an original image, or use Windows Automated Installation Kit to customize an original image.

You should be aware that any features you disable in vLite will not be available later (such is the case with the Dark Netbook image).