installing win 7 on a GPT drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pii, Jan 3, 2013.

1. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Sounds just like mine. I wonder why I had the option win I had win7 for a short while? When I installed this MB I just threw the OS SSD in and booted up , no reinstall, and win7 found all the hardware and drivers. I never did any GPT format or anything like that. Strange.

2. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    success!! win 7 now installing on SSD.

Man what an PIA and a good learning experience.

THANK ALL! everyone of you gave me some useful info.

3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

:w00t2::w00t2:

4. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #24 pii, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    (OP)
    HOLD the celebration!

While it starts to install it gets to the point where the installed does the reboot. This is normally where you can remove the dvd or not hit "any key to bot from dvd" and the win7 install will reboot and finish the install. However it does a reboot and then can't start windows because it can't find some device. xc0000225 error.

how does installing from USB work? with the dvd all you have to do is not "hit any key" but with this USB it would boot no matter what. Anyways I don't that's the problem as it has the same error with the USB or without the USB at that point in the install.

thank God for Acronis! :) best 39.99 I ever spent.

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    After the first re boot are you changing the boot order to boot from the OS HDD ?
    This should be done.

At the re boot did you boot into the BIOS ?
    If you did could you see that the OS HDD had the UEFI icon on the dive. This should be set to first boot.

When you were installing did you notice if it made the three new volumes ?

Stick with it mate

6. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes yes yes and yes It even now has a efi boot for for the ssd drive which it never had before (the missing uefi boot is back))
    It all looks good and I tried every boot option from the bios every one of them gave the same error. I even tried to do a repair and it added a boot option to the menu but it also did the same error. WTF? If I had a gun I think I'd shoot this thing. lol If I ever see Balmer I'm going to choke his ass out! :eek:

7. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
  8. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    @ pii

Which version of Windows 7 x64 are you trying to intall ?

To be honest I dont know if this has owt to do with it but I only install Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Not come accross that error and I did a quick Google serch for that error, did not ind owt definate but Windows Pro kept popping up.

9. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I tried 7 prem and ulti both did the same. Not sure I have a good iso I had the files on my hd. Just dl the iso from the win7 here so going to see if that helps

10. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
  11. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

Hu hu.

I am guessing your at the point where this is fooking annoying but you wont let it beat you.:wallbash:

Good idea, it might have missed a file.

When I set my USB stick up I used he HP tool and then just copied and pasted the files on to the USB. I did not use win2 usb or owt like that.

Here's a thought. Is the OS HDD in a SATA 6gb\s port ?
    If so you may need to integrate the intel\ asmedia sata drivers into the boot.wim ?

I have done this.

May or may not have owt to do with it

12. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #32 pii, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    (OP)
    oh yeah I'm going to beat this bitch! :p I was pretty pissed at it the other night but now I'm just determined.

it is on the 6gb port so how do I add those drivers?

13. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    ohhhh....I just presumed you would know.....Ahhh....

Download the drivers.
    un rar them
    On your C:\ make a folder called 1
    Within here make a folder called
    Put the downloaded drivers for both Intel and Asmedia into the x64 folder.
    Copy the boot.wim from your downloed Windows 7 x64 iso. You will be extracting all the files from the .iso any how to put onto the USB stick.
    Place the boot.wim into C:\1

Now for the fun bit..

Open up note pad and copy that text into it. Save it has
    MAKE SURE IT IS SAVED AS .cmd

Place this new .cmd file into C:\1
    right click on .cmd file and RUN AS ADMIN

A command window should pop up and it will take ten mins or so to intergrate all the SATA driver files into the boot.wim file.

Put the boot.wim file back into the correct folder on your USB stick

OH yes...it is in "SOURCES"

JOB DONE....

I bet you went....WHAT THE FOOK IS THAT ALL ABOUT.....

14. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Holy Fook what is that all about? :p is there an easy way lol Might have to put this on the list for last resort options. That "fun part" doesn't look fun I'm not even sure what you're doing there. ??

15. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    urrrrrrrrrr...Yessss...Maybe leave this for now...

Why I intergrated my drivers was because I could not get to the install windows bit. It could not see my drive. I knew this was a drivers problem cause I have my drives in the 6gb\s ports.
    Once I did it I had no bother..

There is an easier way, using RT7 Lite....But i personally dont like it. You may well have used it and like it. ??

Urr Have you managed to download a new Windows 7 disc ?

Are you going to try again tonight ?

Unfortunatly I will be logging off and going to work soon..

When you get installing licked. Come back to intergrating drivers. Hotfixes and updates can be added the same way,just a different script....

NOT my scripting by the way. A clever lad on MDL gave it to me.....I am not that clever....

16. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm headed to work myself so will try later. Yes I have a new iso and I'm all ready to try again when I get home.
    The system can see the drives so I'm not sure it needs the drivers. I'll let you know. Thanks for all the help:worthy:

17. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Good luck..

Let us know how it goes..
    Catch ya laters...

18. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Well after putting new files on the USB i go to install win7 booting from the uefi usb device. Go to the drives and select the GPT drive I've been trying to use the last 4 days. and guess what it tells me? "Windows can not install on this drive because it is of MBR type! WTF!? It seems to have magically converted after my Acronis restore of win 8 yesterday. So I fire up the Win 7 ultri dvd and install from the dvd to the drive. during the install it rebooted and had to scan the disk and found about 1,000,000 errors so I thought it was going to be fooked but it finished the install and now I finally have win 7 back!

Again thanks all :worthy::worthy:

19. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

Ahhh. Nice one.:cool:

20. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Even though I have to rebuild my desktop all over again I have to say going back to 7 has given me a warm and fuzzing feeling. Its like coming home after a long hard trip. Don't think I'll miss win 8 one bit.

Now to get it off my Laptop :eek: