Installing Windows 7 From USB Drive 3 Steps Easy Process

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gigahertz20, Aug 8, 2009.

1. rohanmishra

rohanmishra MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks! Very useful.

2. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    In UltraISO, If you click on the "Xpress Boot" button after you click "Write Disk Image" it will show "Xpress Write."

I googled it to find out what it was and it said "Xpress Write" works just like 'Write', but it keeps disk format on the UFD."

I'm not exactly sure what that means, I know the Windows 7 image is identified as a bootable UDF image, so maybe if you use "Xpress Write" it keeps the same format of the disc or something when you burn it to your USB drive?

I didn't choose it when I burned the Windows 7 image to my USB flash drive, and I just had to play around with my BIOS settings a little bit and then I finally got it to boot from the USB drive.

3. ammarman

ammarman MDL Member

Jul 17, 2009
    if I install Windows 7 from a USB will that effect any personal files I have in that USB ?

4. Gigahertz20

Aug 6, 2009

Yes, it will format your USB drive. Make sure to backup any files off it before you install the Windows 7 image on the USB druve. I think I remember it giving a warning before it does.

5. shinigami7th

shinigami7th MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2008
  6. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    ok iv checked all again, and here are my findings ill try as simple as possible to understand.

1: apparently both of my usb's are active partitioned. now im not sure if they come like this frm store, so i gues i must have done that as one is ntfs and forgot about it. so sorry about the previous posts :)

2: tried with usb as non active and it didnt boot. again i just make it active and it booted

now here is what u need to do.

1: save everything on ur usb stick and then use any tool to make it active, i used partition magic / disk director.

2: format as fat32 or ntfs doesnt matter.

3: copy / extract / drag all files from 7 dvd to ur USB stick

4: boot from usb and have fun installing windows 7

7. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    no problem buddy those poins were taken from microsoft post.

my point was the tutorials on web are made as this is one real hard thing to do, but actually its simple as drag drop. we just need active partion as iv posted now.

second just to make it clear that someone wont get into trouble. copying dos files will not make it boot. dos was different then vista / 7 boot lo*ders. u can ciopy 7 files and it will boot but u have to transfer system with sys command for dos or use hp bootdisk utility and use boot img.
    that is if u want to make DOS bootable usb.
    hope this clarifies.

8. mengchanchai

mengchanchai MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    hi Gigahertz20 and everybody
    thanks for sharing and discussion.
    very useful for me:D

9. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you.

This qualifies Gigahertz20's original post that the UltraISO method is the simplest for anyone to use.
    It is basically a one step process.
    It will work with any type of key, previously bootable or not bootable, a new key or a used key previously formatted in any way.

It overwrites any previous data on a key and puts the contents of the ISO file on the key and makes it bootable at the same time just as putting the contents on a DVD is done by burning a DVD from the ISO.

When your key is bootable (by whatever method) you could delete the previous files and folders and substitute them with others from a different bootable ISO and this would work too.

10. ammarman

ammarman MDL Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I meant after formatting and "burning" the iso to the USB, if copied my files to the USB then started the installation process will my files be in danger ??

11. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    win 7 install from usb not working

I have been experimenting putting win 7 rtm onto a 4gb usb, i have followed all the tutuorials from many different sites, and done alot of settings, the laptop i am trying to install to has win vista premium, the system starts booting from usb and the win 7 install starts, it goes a little further and it then says drivers required for your cd/dvd or connected device and words to that effect and wants to load some drivers, i thought it should work with generic usb drivers etc.

I have used the diskpart method and using ultraiso and its the same problem again and again, on another computer it alos gets stuck with other errors,

any body come across this, any ideas,
    p.s. i've got a 4gb and 8gb usbs and have formatted and followed instructions carefully and i do know about pc's but this is not working for me!!

12. Gigahertz20

Aug 6, 2009
    I wouldn't think so, but I would make sure you have a backup of them. I would really only use the USB drive for the Windows image, and not put any other files on it.

13. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    usually those are cd/dvd and ide controller drivers.

search for "mshdc" on a win 7 dvd and copy all the files from that folder to a safe place.

put them on a flash drive, and when you get that error, browse to the flash drive. that's all. win7 dvd doesn't contain some older drivers.

14. Gigahertz20

Aug 6, 2009

There was no guide on here except the really detailed ones that require the command prompt, and not too many people know how to do it the easy way, so this guide will serve it's purpose.

15. jimmy2x2x

jimmy2x2x MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up, clear and concise

16. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    mshdc

hi i am using win 7 rtm and there is no mshdc folder please could u elaborate thnks

17. Sporkman

Sporkman MDL Member

Jul 13, 2009
    hXXp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

works just as well

18. doomie_22

doomie_22 MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    #39 doomie_22, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    I've been using this installation method since Vista; it works every time plus it cuts down on installation times compared to installing from a DVD.

19. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #40 byghtn3, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    I cant make it work!

My current computer is XP-SP3 with W7 x86 RTM ISO image

I have tried the 3 steps in post #1
    I have tried HP make USB boot program, is says sucessful format
    I have tried the MS Diskpart, it does not recognise my USB drive
    I tried with powerISO, and UltraISO with verify selected, it confirms verification
    I tried express write, regular write, format, disk manager format,
    Disk manager sees my USB drive and says 3.75g and it is active,

The computer I want to install upon has
    Asrock 775i65G, MB sees usb flash drive by name, and boot "ONLY" from USB drive, no other devices allowed
    80G blank, fresh, new directly from seagate, eide drive
    Upon boot startup sees HD, CD/DVD, and USB *hi-speed*
    then says insert proper boot device or insert proper media...

What else could be wrong?

Thanks