Installing Windows 7 From USB Drive 3 Steps Easy Process

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gigahertz20, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009

Go into BIOS and make sure the boot priority shows the USB drive as first, and anything else that has to deal with booting in the BIOS, make sure your USB drive is first.

If that doesn't work, then you'll just have to burn the ISO to a DVD and install the regular way.

2. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #42 byghtn3, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    Thanks for your reply---

I have erased all other boot devices---
    CD--Gone from list,
    HD--Gone from list
    Only 1 item in boot list--This USB drive, recognised "BY ITS Specifications" name

This is a MicroCenter 4Gig $8.99 USB stick, maybe I need a different type?

Only 1 item in boot list, this USB device. If it appears in the boot device list as a HD, then it should work shouldn't it? I have not tried to format as a W98 bootable, might this work? Any other ideas?

Thanks

New-- I just went through all the bios settings and found Legacy USB device disables, and now it is enabled.
    Now it says "BOOTMGR image is corrupt" retry...
    This appears to be progress, What should I try now?

Thanks

Tried again, new USB stick, just selected "Write Disk Image" and verify write, no formating
    Now getting error--Windows has failed to start, maybe a hardware change, bla bla bla, insert disk, select language, select repair.

File: \boot\bcd
    An error has occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

Press enter to continue

Any new or better ideas now??

Thanks

3. mojavekroc

mojavekroc MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
  4. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009

Try using UNetBootin as the previous poster just mentioned, and see if it works then.

5. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    #46 AzN_devil, Aug 9, 2009
    guys heres another method..from xp or vista

1 - start computer management - disk management, find your usb drive and make sure you either only have one partition or you are planning to put the installation files on the first partition of your usb drive...

2 - format your usb drive ...fat32 or ntfs both work...and set the partition as active

2 - extract EVERYTHING from the iso onto your hard disk and copy the files over to your usb drive..dont delete the files on your hard disk yet

3 - open command prompt (start->run->cmd) **vista users you need to open cmd with administrator privs.

4 - change to the directory that has the extracted files from the iso on your hard disk (NOT YOUR USB DRIVE)

5 - "cd" into the boot directory and type "bootsect /nt60 /mbr x:" (without quotes and replace x: with your drive letter)
    eg: f drive has all my win 7 iso files..i'd type bootsect /nt60 /mbr f:

6 - delete the extracted files from the iso on your hard disk if you like and you are done.

**note...toshiba u3 usb drive users...this method wont work for you unless...
    a - throw your drive out the window and buy a normal usb drive
    b - you remove the u3 partition off your drive...but the removal is permanent (you cant add it back)...google u3 uninstaller if you need it...
    i removed the u3 partition as soon as i got the drive but thats me so..yea

6. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    #47 yaluza1967, Aug 9, 2009
    which version of ultraiso did you use ? i has tried with UltraISO v9.3.3.2685 ( portable edition ) and i get the same error.

or the iso source TPB !? i will retry with another iso last time when i'm at home.

7. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    I was using this same version number of UltraISO, but not sure if it is PORTABLE or not.
    I tried the above mentioned method using Unetbootin 2 times, 1 for x86 and 1 for x64 just in case I had a corruption in the iso, now I have 2 USB sticks that the embedded activity light flickers, and a simple single underline cursor that flashes, no progress appears after waiting more than 1 hour. Computer is a Q6600, ASRock 775i65G, 2GB RAm 80G HDD, it should have shown signs of progress if it was going to do anything at all, now it just shows flickering lights.

Any other advice??
    Thanks,

8. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Are you for real?????

Get a phucking life!

9. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
  10. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    right sorry my mistake.. I dunno what could be wrong, this is pretty weird!

@kukubau I guess if you would have done anything to help the community instead of just keeping insulting people in every single post you made, then you'd feel better about yourself...

11. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    #53 kukubau, Aug 9, 2009
    byghtn3

from what disk are you trying to install?

what size is the drive? is it an usb flash drive or a usb harddisk?

doesn't matter if you're installing from a flash drive or not, diskpart can be used in the same way with one extra amendment

diskpart

LIST DISK (it shows you the number # of the disk you want to install from)

SELECT DISK #

LIST PARTITION ->shows you the partitions on that disk

if no partitions exist

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY (creates a partition on the whole disk - this is especially valid for usb flash drives

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=N (N=size in Mbytes. let's say you want it 10 gb, that's N=10000)

FORMAT FS=NTFS

ASSIGN LETTER=X (depends on what letter you want and if it's a newly created partition)

ACTIVE

then go in the boot folder on the windows 7 dvd
    and run

BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 X: (X BEING THE LETTER OF THE DRIVE, IT CAN BE WHATEVER THE CASE)

THEN COPY ALL THE FILES AND FOLDERS FROM THE WINDOWS 7 DVD TO THE USB FLASH DRIVE(OR USB HDD) AND BOOT

THAT'S ALL

TESTED COUNTLESS OF TIMES

12. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    I hate your s**tository

we don't need that crap thread

that's for dumb people

13. Collo

Collo MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    It gives you all the information your need in one tidy thread.
    Even if you only want some loaders it's much easier to go to the repository than to trawl through 160 pages (hazar) for a download link.

Calm down dear ;3

14. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    anyone has the right to learn. remember, there was a time when you too, you didn't know what was the hash of a file or how to run commands..

15. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    I was born knowing what hash means and I ran commands the second I took my first breath. :))

16. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    #58 byghtn3, Aug 9, 2009

Attached Files:

17. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    what drive are you trying to install to???

usb flash drive or usb hdd????

is the usb device connected to the rear panel usb connector or to a frontpanel??

frontpanel doesn't work fine with diskpart

18. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    #60 byghtn3, Aug 9, 2009