Installing Windows 7 From USB Drive 3 Steps Easy Process

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gigahertz20, Aug 8, 2009.

1. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    #61 kukubau, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    try to use a usb stick max 4 gb

you said it's in the rear panel connector. leave it there

format it clean from windows. right click-> format->ntfs

run diskpart again

edit: where is the 80 gb drive in your diskpart prt screen????

2. wendy123

wendy123 Guest

#62 wendy123, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    post not needed

3. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #63 byghtn3, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    try to use a usb stick max 4 gb
    I have tried both 4 & 8 GB Sticks, same results---or lack there of

you said it's in the rear panel connector. leave it there
    There are 2 computers involved
    1 computer has the W7 ISO files and is running WXP
    Diskpart is on WXP computer, W7 ISO is on WXP computer
    The other computer is empty, NO OS, NO PROGRAMS
    I want to boot & install to ASRock 775i65G computer with 80G HD at the end of the datacable, set with CABLE SELECT jumper on HD

format it clean from windows. right click-> format->ntfs
    I tried to format as you say, but NTFS is NOT an option, only fat32 appears
    My C & H drives show NTFS as an option, but not F:

run diskpart again

edit: where is the 80 gb drive in your diskpart prt screen????
    80G is on ASRock 775i65G The ASRock has no OS therefor it has NO Diskpart program to show the disk types.
    Diskpart shows --> the other <-- computer info
    I am not really sure you are understanding me
    I am not sure I understand what you want me to try.

4. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    ok

I assume the ssytem you want to install w7 on has no dvd drive.

Format the usb stick uisng the FAT32 file system and then try to format it again using NTFS.

if you can't do that, leave it formatted FAT32 and run diskpart again.

if you can't see the drive in diskpart, leave it as it is and run

bootsect /nt60 x: (drive letter)

5. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
  6. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    copy all the files from the dvd and boot the damn thing

no need for the flash drive to have the same label as the dvd

7. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009

Of course this is not a new process, but it is one that is not widely known. How can people find out about this if there is no guide? If you google "loading windows 7 USB key" all the guides are long and require command prompt so it cannot even be searched for easily.

I find it funny how you can get angry that a guide is posted that helps people, but because it is nothing new and something you already know about, everybody is "lame" and needs to "get a life."

Sounds like you need to get a life, trolling forums and doing nothing but leaving degrading posts.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @kukubau:

It's up to everybody what they like to post and you don't need to agree with it!

But to complaint on one hand to other who like to help others and writing a bunch of commands which are missing some of them, that differs a bit and need to be cleared.

Here the complete, and I mean complete, commands for to the create a bootable USB Stick for Windows 7 installation:

1. Get a USB Drive, it must be at least 4 GB.

2. Plug the drive into your PC.

3. Open a command prompt as administrator. (Right click, Open as Admin, or Ctrl+Shift+Click)

4. Get the drive number by typing:
    diskpart
    list disk
    On my machine the USB disk was number 1.

5. Format the drive by typing:
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=NTFS
    assign
    exit

6. Mount the Windows 7 beta iso or insert the disk.

7. Navigate to the boot directory
    cd E:\boot (Where E is the drive letter of the DVD)

8. Using bootsect, we’ll make the USB drive a bootable NTFS drive, ready for a Windows 7 image:
    bootsect /nt60 F: (Where F is the drive letter of the USB Drive)

9. Close the command prompt

10. Copy the installation files from the mounted Windows 7 iso/disk to the USB drive.

11. Reboot the PC, and enter the BIOS (OR you can move to the boot manager menu, usually by pressing F2 (NEC pp.), F8 (Asus), F11 (most MB's), F12 (Gigabyte) if supported)

This method works on ALL USB-Sticks without limitations.

And everybody should keep in mind the the min. size of USB-Stick must be 4GByte for 32 Bit or even 8 GByte depend on the Windows 7 version which should be placed on the USB-Stick.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Angelx64

Angelx64 MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2008
    Very nice share. Thanks. Simple and useful.:)

10. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Great tip, now I found a new use for my UltraISO install :D

On a side note, this works great with floppy images too! My MS-DOS 7.10 bootdisk image went on the USB and booted without problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. jupp

jupp MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    What makes 4 GB< a must? I have tried various 1GB...2GB as well and haven't noticed any problems yet. Am I missing something here? Just for curiosity.. :)

12. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #74 Opa, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    we are talking about Windows 7, which needs 2.4 GB and 3.1 GB for the 32 and 64 bits version respectively (according to the ISO images, might be a little different once extracted)

hope this answers your concern :)

13. jupp

jupp MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    #75 jupp, Aug 26, 2009
    Okie thanks for answering. It fully explains it. I'm using vLited Win7 myself which installs even from 1GB with ease. :p Thought there may be some other concerns..

14. Allo

Allo MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #78 Allo, Aug 26, 2009
  15. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    cd dvd drivers required error - solution >

In my earlier post i had trouble getting win 7 onto a usb 4gb and 8gb and using all different methods, i kept getting errors to download drivers i received info from one of the members, but that didnt work, (thanks for your help K)

Finally i purchased another new usb stick and used ultra iso and it worked finally !!!

no more cd dvd drivers required or missing bootmgr and no boot etc errors.

Since i had 3 different usb sticks before and tried it on 3 computers and have used all the different techniques, i have dvd drives on the laptops but wanted to have a go at putting it on a usb.

I persisted and tried and tried and eventually i got it going!!

16. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Just a few additional notes to this...

1) The version of diskpart that ships with XP does not seem to show USB flash drives: 'list disk' will not show the USB flash drive, only your HDD. So this procedure fails under XP. Diskpart under windows 7 ( and probably vista ) does show USB drives.

2) It's often best to 'clean' before 'create partiton primary'.

3) Just to clarify: the 2 'create partition' commands listed above are an 'either / or' deal; you don't need to use both! If the command is issued without a size parameter, it defaults to the whole drive. That's what you'd normally do for a USB stick. I think that was what you said anyway.

4) You don't need to specify a letter for the 'assign' command. Just use 'assign' by itself, and it will choose the next available drive letter.

5) You need to 'exit' from diskpart after you're done marking it active.

6) There's a wrinkle in the bootsect command people should know about. If you are performing this procedure from a 32-bit OS ( eg vista 32 ), but you are trying to transfer a 64-bit OS from the DVD to the USB stick, you will hit a problem. When you try to run the bootsect command off of the 64-bit DVD, it will fail with 'Not a valid win32 program'. It's a 64-bit version of the program on the DVD, and it won't run in your 32-bit environment! You will need to go find a 32-bit install disk ( vista or win7 ) and run the bootsect command from it. Or grab a copy of the 32-bit bootsect.exe from someplace else. Or perform the procedure from a 64-bit OS.

--
    SC