Installing Windows 7 From USB Drive 3 Steps Easy Process

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gigahertz20, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #3: Right-click > Start as administrator ;)

Regarding #2, it works with Windows ISOs as well :balloon:

2. sarra1833

sarra1833 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2010
    thanks!

I have it going onto my memory stick as we speak. Now I'm all paranoid that my toshiba satellite a205-S4577 won't be able to boot from usb.
    does anyone know? Is it googleable?
    I'm running vista 32 on here as of right now; should I do a clean install or do a ..what is it called, vista and 7? I wouldn't be sure how to boot up one and boot up the other if i wanted to use both. I'm mainly upgrading to 7 because vista keeps plaguing me with 'windows explorer has stopped working'. I hear it's starting to pop up on 7 as well though. I really dont want to upgrade to XP (face it, even win95 is an upgrade from vista:biggrin: ) but if I have to, I will....

I have a 2.5 GB memory so I know 86 will work with 7. I just am very scared to do this boot thing. Never played in there before and don't want to do any adverse damage or anything.

oh one more wee question not really to do with this but sort of since it's a usb mem stick thing: I took 800 songs off my mem stick and have em sitting on a folder on my desktop. I just reformatted the mem stick, have 7 going on it right now via ultra iso. once that finishes, can I put my songs back on the mem stick so in case I do a clean install, I won't lose em or will that mess up the boot while installing?

I appreciate all help, etc.

3. sarra1833

sarra1833 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2010
    musing:

can I just go into start, then msconfig and do the boot set up from there? or do I HAVE to do it via the f2 or f10 whatever it is?

4. sarra1833

sarra1833 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2010
    have to say this installed perfectly but let people know one thing:

when you boot from usb the first time, it will load it up and shut down and start over again. annoying. So what you have to do is let it set up twice. I wasn't paying attention the first time and don't know if it goofed up and started over or not so let it go twice. Also, on 32 bit (86 i think) you can't install over vista/xp. you sadly have to take a new clean install.

anyway, Once it gets done setting up and goes to restart, hurry up and pull your usb out and hit the what ever f2, f12, wahtever to get back into the boot thingie and change it bakc to boot from HDD.

I put the usb back in just in case and it did end up installing perfectly. When it gets to the key, just pass right by it.

Now i just need to figure out where to look to find out if this is an activated copy or if I have to scurry to figure out how to authenticate it. I know I hit start but where to go after that, I'm not sure....

let everyone know if they keep it to boot from usb, it will forever reload to installation.

5. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #145 Opa, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. CFSyko

CFSyko MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2010
    Loaded and burned ISO to USB, restarted, went into BIOS, changed Boot Sequence, waited for first Restart, removed USB and let it do it's thing.

I absolutely love this site!!!!! They make it so easy to do this stuff. I'm an all Hardware person and virtually retarded when it comes to Software, but with the Instructions and Tutorials here, I did this stuff flawlessly!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. abuttino

abuttino MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2008
    I agree, there is no use for any tools..

1.) Format NTFS USB stick
    2.) In the "boot" directory of the ISO, you'll see "bootsect". From elevated command prompt (for safety) bootsect D: /nt60 /force
    (Replace "D:" with your actual drive letter)
    3.) Extract ISO into root of the USB stick
    4.) Boot from USB
    5.) Profit??????

8. ReviZor

ReviZor MDL Novice

May 9, 2010
    i dont know if i am stupid or not, but it seems i cant boot from the USB FDD i dunno why it seems just as like it cannot detect it, i used option 2 Unetbootin did all the steps listed.

press f-12 (MB is Gigabyte P35-DS3L) and select boot from usb - fdd
    it thinks for a while and then just continues to boot windows xp as if there is no usb...

so am i stupid or not?

if i'm not then pls tell what am i doing wrong?

9. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    A friend of mine has a DS3L motherboard just like you and got the same problem.

Tried booting from my usbstick first but that didnt work, but booting from dvd worked just fine when trying to install win7..

10. ReviZor

ReviZor MDL Novice

May 9, 2010
    so basicaly what you are saying is that i cannot boot from a USB?

by the way if it helps the FDD is Sandisk Cruiser 16GB

11. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Should be able to boot from usb ofcourse!.

Just dont know why it doesnt when choosing bootmenu (note, didnt change bootorder in bios never did that on my asus board).

I have a Kingston 8 GB usbstick which works pefect on my computers, one with asus p5k and a HP 6510b but that gigabyte board.. does not work.

12. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have spent hours on this- when I did get it to work, it only worked one time and the next computer refused to boot from it. I did open it in XP and that computer rebooted and installed it from the Zip drive. However, windows 7 partition was D instead of the usual C. I've tried it on several different USB sticks, and for ME windows simply installs faster from a DVD. My PERSONAL experience only, most report 7 installed from a USB is much faster than a DVD install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  14. misterman

misterman MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    I did everything as stated in the instruction and even removed the USB stick right after restart. However, I keep getting the Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter error. I've tried the following:

1) Cable Select, Master Drive (jumper settings) on Hard Drive
    2) BIOS boot sequence order from HD first to HD second to disabling all other devices; right now it's set to CD first, HD 2nd, and floppy 3rd
    3) Keeping in the USB stick plugged in which restarts windows 7 installation
    4) Unplugging the CD drive and setting it to secondary slave
    5) restarting installation by formatting, deleting partition, and creating new partition and reinstalling 4 times
    6) checking authenticity of iso file through hash check and using the official microsoft usb stick boot instructions

I'm thinking it might be a faulty hard drive, faulty motherboard, BIOS config, or something else entirely. How do I install motherboard drivers without going into Windows first? I never had to deal with this before. Thanks for any help.

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    At work I boot from usb to perform bios updates from dos. I've found that many motherboards don't let me boot my key if there is a card reader plugged in before my usb key. ie, Card Reader plugged into USB Header 1 & Front USB plugged into USB Header 2... On most motherboards it doesn't matter...

If your having issues booting your USB Key, try disconnecting the card reader.

Personally I think there's no issues with booting the dvd & then going for a beer... ;-)

16. Coprin

Coprin MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2010
    Angest

I canĀ“t get it to work. I have tried useing MS usb booting softw. Both without changing the bootsect and changing it to the 32. I have tried using ultraiso, both here also.

I have changed the boot sequens, and when I start upp it stops eather saying reboot with a correct boot device or plugg in a correct device (not the exact message, but it is the meaning), this is using the original 64-bit iso. While using the changed it stop at a black screen with a "_" blinking in the left corner.

Help?

17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  18. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
  19. dap1web

dap1web MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    Forgive me for sounding dumb, but does anyone know whether it is possible to load Win7 onto a SD Flash card to do an install ?

20. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Somehow could not make unetbootin work. As noted, formated a 4GB USB to FAT32 which is default. Then ran unetbootin. It extracted files but hung at 463 out of 873 files in more than 5 instances. No progress beyond that even after 15 mins. This is for win 7 enterprise x86 with sp1. Similar hanging up for professional with sp1.