Installing Windows 8 UEFI

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Niekess, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Hey..

So I went to try past 5 hours or longer getting Windows 8 installed into UEFI.
    I made an USB with a new partition and set the whole drive to GPT and placed the Windows files onto it. After that I enabled UEFI boot at my bios and the USB card got at the boot menu got recognized as UEFI too.

All good I though till I launched the setup from the USB itself. All I got was the Windows 8 logo (A bit strectched) and nothing more. No loading wheel, just nothing. There was also no light flashing on the USB or on the laptop beside the screen + battery one. I kept seeing the screen for over 30 minutes till I powered of my laptop to try more options.

I tried the same ISO with UEFI boot on for a burned DVD. Also I tried to move around the efi/boot/ files from directory to directory as I read on the web without any result.

My laptop is K53SC from Asus if you want to know it. Also do I have in the BIOS an option to launch EFI shell from filesystem device but when I run that option do I either get the same problem as explained above or an error "Not Found".

So now my question?
    How do I get is installed with UEFI now? :p

2. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Been there, but in the end I was successful.
    How did you prepare the partitions? You need, apart from the windows partition, other partitions.
    Microsoft says that for UEFI install you have to boot from UEFI enabled media, this however is not true.
    You may prepare the disk with diskpart, use imageX to expand OS files to Windows partition and use the bcdboot from Windows 8 to make it UEFI bootable.

Cheers.

3. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    So far I have only setup the USB partition. I cleaned it through diskpart and converted it to GPT. In there I made a FAT32 partition and put the installation files on it.
    On the actual laptop itself did I have done nothing. It's now containing a normal Windows 8 installation setup which isn't bootable. The installation of it was half way done.

4. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Ah now I understand what you've done. You simply want to boot from USB in UEFI mode and then install Windows from there.
    I have never prepared an USB disk for UEFI boot, only the destination disk itself.
    To be more specific, I'm not interesting in booting my USB stick as UEFI, I want the final install to boot as UEFI.

You can install in UEFI in several ways,
    - Boot from UEFI enabled media (DVD) and prepare HD from there, it's the easiest way.
    - Boot from any WinPE and prepare with diskpart script, image with imageX and make bootable with bcdboot.

Bios must be UEFI compatible but you knew that already.

Cheers.

5. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Having the system booting for me in UEFI is what matters for me too and not the USB. I only thought I need to get the USB into UEFI so I can run the installation and make everything UEFI.

But now I understand that the change can be done after the installation?
    If yes then I like a link to some guide on how to complete it so I can do it tomorrow in the morning after a night of sleep.. :)

6. dk2463

dk2463 MDL Senior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    it only works if your install media is FAT32, and by that I mean the USB.
    you simply format the USB as FAT32, copy over the install files then hit whatever key at boot to choose the USB stick as the boot drive then you will see UEFI USB or something like that

7. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Not after the installation, you did not understand. I suggested two ways of installing Windows in UEFI mode, the first one is the MS way, the second one skips the MS setup and does it manual by means of diskpart, imageX and bcdboot.
    I agree it can get a little advanced, I have no ready-made tuto, I used a modified script named "NT6FastInstaller", it can be found on reboot pro.

Cheers.

8. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
  9. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    #11 mtrai, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    Make sure you have the latest BIOS install on the asus motherboard. /Edit Just checked and you have the latest however your bios offers no support for windows 8 though this should not be a problem. My Asus board has the exact same bios updates for windows 8 and windows 7.

second the only way I have been able to install Win* in UEFI mode was to delete all partition on the target install hard drive. Boot with the UEFI enable USB stick and let the Windows 8 install do its thing.

Also I used Novicorp Winflash program to prepare my sticks.

One last thing, after you prepare the install on the stick you have one more thing to do. Copy the EFI64 file to the root of the stick and delete EFI boot file.

10. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Alright, I will try that and say if it worked or not. Good thing I'm using Skydrive a lot and Xbox Music so got minor files I have to save. An USB of 1GB will do that work for me. :)

If someone else got ideas/solution then tell them in case it doesn't work.

11. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    Alright let me know. I had a few problems getting Win8 to Install in UEFI mode with my motherboard but now can do it with ease. Though my motherboard is newer and Win 8 ready and certified.

12. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    Oh one last thing...let windows 8 install delete the all the partition during the install and just select the HD do not format it or anything . It should show unallocated space. And just click next. Windows will create the needed 3 partition.

13. reniew

reniew MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Here is the solution, tested on my Asus 1225B, with UEFI BIOS:

Original prepared HDD from ASUS is MBR.
    If you downloaded Windows 8 upgrade and made USB boot, take a look whether your pendrive is made as NTFS or FAT32.
    When I used Windows upgrade program it prepared USB with Fat32. Using this I cannot install Windows 8 (BSOD).

So I made ISO file and then, and using Windows7-USB-Tool made NTFS bootable pendrive.
    Then, In BIOS I changed the boot options.
    First, to boot from Pendrive, but not UEFI-Kingston410 (in my case Kingstion 32 GB) but Kingston410 only (It is very important). How to do it?
    Check your Bios - Boot - Hard Drive BBS Priorities - Put your Pendrive as number one.
    Then In boot option priorites ther will by: "UEFI-Pendrive name" and "Pendrive name". Start with "Pendrive name" not UEFI
    Then, I started without any problems Windows 8 system - and using Diskpart, removing all partitions and changed MBR to GPI.
    Then I installed both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and have dual boot working.

14. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I tried already to instal Windows 8 in UEFI mode, but it doesn't seem to work. My laptop (ASUS N53SV) support EFI. I've got an option in BIOS called 'UEFI Boot'. Windows 8 installation runs in UEFI mode, it creates 3 partitions and all goes well. After the first restart it just reboots whole the time. Disabling UEFI Boot was my only solution.

15. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    No success for me. I just come to the conclusion that Windows 8 with EFI on my laptop is not compatible. ;)
    Or I need to deploy the image but not going to do that much effort.

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just a question, do you able to install 7 in EFI mode?? I also have this (India edition X53SC) laptop.

17. reniew

reniew MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    #19 reniew, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    I have both, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 Pro.
    I have no problem to install Windows 7 only from USB prepared by the tool from MS (Official MSDN ISO)
    I have no problem to install Windows 8 only from USB (offcial ISO made by MS Upgrade Assistant).
    In these cases I do not remember whether I started from UEFI-pendrive or without "UEFI" mark in it, but I am sure that I used MBR disk.

The problem was to made a dualboot - If Windows 7 was installed, I was unable to install Windows 8. I got a message that a disc should by GPT not MBR.
    That's why I have to convert MBR to GPT.
    But when I started from BIOS the UEFI-Pendrive, I was unable to install both OS on GPT.
    Without UEFI-Pendrive I installed both OS without any problems.
    I do not understand the origin of the problem - I think it's in ASUS BIOS. I spent many hours to find the solution reading forums and the problem appeared mostly with Windows 8 RC and EFI/UEFI Asuses.
    Both my OS are 64bit.

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #20 Tito, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013