Installing Windows 8 UEFI

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Niekess, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Maybe the flasher tried to reset BIOS/EFI settings and damaged the checksum.

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Laptop: Asus K56CA

Installing Windows 8 UEFI x64 is plain simple:
    1. Use Novicorp WinToFlash 0.7.0057 beta for USB with FAT32 file system
    2. Download Shellx64.efi. Bing is good friend here.
    3. At system startup, choose boot from efi and run following commands:
    Shell> Fs0:
    fs0:> \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI

No more problem...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Sounds like a botched update if you ask me Tito

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Boyfriend

I prefer Rufus; no more manual downloading.

:)

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Hi all,

I have a new Pc that is running windows 7 Pro x64 - I am trying to create a dual boot with Windows 8 Pro x64 - but i can not install windows 8 error that i get is "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style" i did create a unused partion but cannot get passed this. Any ideas please? :shutup:

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    If you're installing it in UEFI mode, it should install fine to GPT. If installing using BIOS-mode though (legacy), it will only install to MBR partition-styled HDDs.

With this in mind, the entire HDD(s; for RAID) itself has to be either GPT or MBR. Creating a partition on the HDD won't help. Need to either figure out how to boot Window's installer in EFI mode, or repartition the entire HDD in MBR (and thus lose all data).

8. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    How are you trying to install windows 8 ? trough DVD or through USB ?

9. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    @BTOR

Thanks for asking i am now creating a uefi usb stick to install that way. i am using "Rufus" to create my installion usb. so i think i am now on the right track :rolleyes::biggrin:

10. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Rufus is a handy tool. I have never installed UEFI/GPT before and the tool set it all up in seconds. (besides adding the files to usb)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    In the past with Windows 7, I'd simply just format a USB stick with FAT32, and drag the Windows files from an image file directly to the flash drive. From there, I'd just go back to UEFI, and boot from it.

I did the same recently with Ubuntu as well (just directly transferred the contents of the iso right to the flash drive; tried with both GUI and dd). No messing with partitions, no setting flags, nothing like that. As long as UEFI can read the drive (FAT and FAT32 being the most compatible), it should be fine, but of course this may differ on different UEFI implementations.

Microsoft's USB Download Tool thing also works, with both Windows 7 and 8 RTM images.

12. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    #32 SpeedDream, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    Hi I went through the same with this uefi motherboard asus m5a99x evo, I don't know why it would only boot and install UEFI mode only from a usb drive,

Here is what i did, had to use external hard drive cause the pen drive died (windows 7 my case, easier to do on 8)
    first backed up everything from the external hard drive.

I included drivers for my usb 3.0 controller and amd 900 sata raid too using the dism method explained here to ISO (W8 doesn't need this), thank you guys
    erased all exernal drive's partitions and create this:
    (you can use diskmgmt.msc instead of diskpart if you delete everything in the external hard drive first in disk management)
    created 6144MB partition as FAT32 and another NTFS with the remaining space on the external HD
    right click and chose active on the FAT32 volume, copied everything from iso using 7-zip to the FAT 32 partition and did the bootx64 uefi trick for pen drives (Windows 7 needs it, windows 8 doesn't).

when you start setup you have to boot using efi say F12, F2 or F10 and and when partitioning in setup check that you get an "efi system" partition created instead of just the 100MB mbr one on your main drive ( say C: )

it's kinda hard but this just let me setup windows 7 from a usb 3.0 hard drive (fast, by the way :) )
    with Windows 8 you don't have to do all that bootx64 uefi trick for pen drives, just copy iso's content to FAT32

hope this helps, I just did this 2 hours ago to change from mbr mode to efi and worked :dance:

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #33 Espionage724, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    To offer a side story as to what I do, I take my 8GB flash drive, put it in a Windows computer, diskpart to clean it, create an active partition, and format it to fat32, and mark it active (the following commands):

Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # (# being the number for the flash drive listed in list disk)
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit
    From there, I copy the files from a Windows 8 x64 image directly to the flash drive via GUI and 7-zip (I tell 7-zip to extract the files right to the root of my flash drive).

I then boot the flash drive with UEFI (CSM is disabled in my UEFI Firmware Settings; I set my boot order to start with UEFI on my SanDisk flash drive; make sure to have legacy USB mode enabled). I have an ASRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard.

Once I get to the first Windows 8 screen, I do Shift + F10 to open a Command Prompt. From there, I do a similar diskpart process to fully wipe my drive:

Code:
    list disk
    select disk # (# being the number for my main HDD)
    clean
    exit
    exit
    (no idea how the above would work on RAID; works fine on a single drive)

And then I install Windows like normal pretty much.

Edit: Did the same for Windows 7 x64 as well on a Compaq 515 Notebook.