Installing XP OEM on Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Ziras, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Ziras

Ziras MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    I am cleaning someones laptop up for them (2005 laptop runs about as slow as a computer I had in 1995, it's ridiculous), and I wanted to put a copy of XP OEM on it (it's running Vista 32 bit currently). My question is, is doing this going to complete screw over the laptop? Will the webcam, touchpad, etc. stop functioning? I'm not completely tech-savvy so I wasn't really sure about it. Thanks for any help.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    So why are you doing it?

Go to manufacturer support website & check if there are drivers for XP for this machine, that is it

Also what XP are you putting on it? You checked that you have SLP string (most likely yes)

sebus

3. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Have you told owner of laptop that you basically have no idea what you are doing; and that you probably will leave him/her with a bricked laptop or a laptop with a illegal OS where half the hardware doesn't work?

If you post here to get help reinstalling your own OS, fine. Post to get help stuffing up someone else s PC, I don't think so!!

4. Ziras

Ziras MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    Yes... they said it was fine. I just wasn't sure if I needed to get drivers for the touchpad to work or not. All they use it for is powerpoint presentations and stupidly installed a billion firewalls and antiviruses and toolbars and all this crap and being Vista, I don't know what's safe to install and uninstall (don't own Vista myself so not sure about it, and I don't own a laptop either so I was double-checking) so I figured a clean wipe with XP as a replacement would be fine (seeing as it hasn't been cleaned out since they bought it).

Thanks for all of the assumptions instead of minding your own business, though.