Installs Ultimate on one system but only enterprise on another.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rivitingtwo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. rivitingtwo

rivitingtwo MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    Hypothetically:

I'm about at my wits end.

I have a USB boot setup for installs. I have 2 systems.

System A's motherboard is a GA-EP45-UD3P running stock F10 firmware. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor.

System B's motherboard is a GA-MA790X-UD4P running stock F9 firmware and using an AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor.

When I install Windows 7 on system A the install proceeds rather quickly, the license terms come up for Windows 7 Ultimate and completing the install does indeed install Ultimate.

When I install Windows 7 on system B however the install proceeds very very slowly, the license terms eventually come up for Windows 7 Enterprise and completing the install results in an Enterprise install.

Both systems are using Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB HDDs

I did initially install a copy of Enterprise onto system B (different source than the current installer) but decided to go with Ultimate instead. I formatted System B's HDD from Vista and then reran the install but the installer keeps wanting to install Enterprise.

Any idea what is going on? Why would the same installer install Ultimate by default on one system and Enterprise on another? The installer does not give me the option to make a version choice.

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Where did you get the USB boot setup as Enterprise is usually not an option with a "normal" Win 7 DVD ? It must be one someone cobbled together.

Does it have the ei.cfg file in the setup files - its in the sources directory ? - generally deleting it results in setup presenting a list of versions to install.

As to why it installs Ultimate on one and Enterprise on the other - ????????????????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rivitingtwo

rivitingtwo MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    So this was my fix. Instead of formatting the drive using a windows based formatter I downloaded a copy of ubuntu and used that to reformat it first into an ext3 then I completely erased the drive on top of that. I'm sure just reformatting would have been fine but I was kinda irate and seeking vengeance. After that was done I put in my USB stick, booted up and lo and behold it loaded the ultimate installation. I'm guessing window was "Formatting" the drive without removing all the information about the previously installed Enterprise and so was reverting to that as default when it saw the remnants or whatever.