Insufficient Permissions running programs

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by doveman, Jul 23, 2014.

1. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I've found on Win 8.1 Update 1 (fresh install) that unless I use Run as Admin when running IE11 or another program I use that depends on Java, neither even recognise that Java is already installed and tell me I need to do so, even though IE11 shows all the Java addons as Enabled.

Obviously it's a pain to have to Run as Admin all the time and I never had to do this with Windows 7. The user account is already an Administrator and UAC is disabled. Does anyone know what else I need to change to fix this?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    linux ...........

3. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
  4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    always have a small linus cooking in the corner of my room to see if it gets to perfection :D

5. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    simple: firefox or chrome :D

6. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    :p:p:p:p:p

7. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Do you mean a real full JAVA programm or do you mean JavaScript on Websites. JavaScript on websites don't need Admin. It's designed that way. If you mean full Java-Programms then this has nothing to do with IE. If a Java-Programm needs Admin to even find Java then Sun/Oracle and/or the coders of the programm didn't care that much. No programm unless it uses system-critical things ie installing new programme need for there normal funktioning Admin. So don't blame for this MS and Windows! UAC is a security-feature and not a nusance for the user.

I also ask myselve why on linux nobody complains about the need of sudo or beeing root. It is basicaly (Yes there are differences) the UAC for linux! With your lack of understanding security related concepts like UAC you would be very frustrated with a LINUX. If you posted such a question on a linux-forum you would have been RTFMed and sent you on a wild goose-chase in source-code land. You would als be rediculed for the fact tat you enabled the root-user and do your normal computing with root and no will to understand the first basic rule of security for using a linux. The next thing is that a Linux which is considered save by Linux-Nerds doesn't find Java for a program. YOU have to know which Java-version YOU have installed and where YOU have put it. The linux NOT knowing where YOU have installed things is considered by them as the holy grale of linux-security! The comfort of simply installaing a programm and it runs without to be a linux guru is considered as unsave and overall bad. So you would be very frustrated to use linux for your daily computing needs. If you realy want to know the guts of your OS then Linux is right for you.

8. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Yep, linux sounds horrible ;)

As for IE11, I mean even the Java install website doesn't recognise that Java is installed unless I ran as Admin. The program that requires Java is called Air Manager (for X-Plane) and that also doesn't recognise it's installed and sends me to the Java website unless I run it as Admin.

I'm not doing anything differently (using an Administrator account, UAC disabled) to what I do on Windows 7 but I don't have any similar problems on that, so it seems something's changed in Windows 8.

9. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    It seems to me that Windows 8 pluged a potential security hole in disalowning this JAVA-checks in normal usage. You know if malware could gain the information if and what version of Java is installed on your system that easy it could reak more havoc more easy.

For me it seems this (basicaly) addon for an "game" has a somewhat flawed security issue. This addon should never need to ask for a admin. Such things on how to find Java is a thing for the Installer which has to be run once as an admin and then it finds always Java. Another thing is that Sun/Oracle doesn't bother to make things easy or secure for there customers. Fore some of there software they don't even bother to make an installer.

I consider having to run the browser as admin to beeing able to do some magic stuf in website is a very dangerous thing to do. You should never have to run a browser as admin! This is a very bad thing! Don't blame Windows for not letting you do dangerous stuff which they former letting you do or was probatly a bug!

Do you realy turned of UAC in Windows 8? You know it is not so easy to turn that completely off like sliding a slider down. In Windows 8 you need to do some regestry wizzardry. After that invasive surgery you got a somewhat crippled Windows without any Metro and no security.

10. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Well I tried downloading the java installer. I couldn't run it as Admin, as it's a .com but after running it separately, now Java works in IE11 without running as Admin. However, it now throws up a warning every time I launch it about incompatible addons which have been disabled, which are the two Java SSV Helper addons.

I tried reinstalling Air Manager as Admin but that still doesn't detect Java unless I run it as Admin.

I don't really care if disabling UAC removes Metro and I have Avast, Defender and Comodo Firewall and HIPS, so hardly 'no security' :)

Other issues I'm having include being unable to change the Environment Variables for a second user (also Administrator) to set a different TEMP/TMP path under User Variables, as it's greyed out and so is stuck on the same folder that the first user is set to. Again, never had this problem with Windows 7.

11. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I've also found that Daemon Tools Lite isn't working (GUI doesn't even show any virtual drives, even though there's an ISO mounted in it) unless I run as Admin and a shortcut in Startup, that works fine when I click it, isn't being launched automatically when booting as it should. Anyone know how to fix these issues?

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Maybe you should enable admistrator acount it proberly will fix your problems

Administrator.png

You will find it under Local users and groups

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Will that only help if I then login as that account though, or will it help when using any account in the Administrator's group? As far as I know, the Administrator account doesn't need to be enabled for the Administrator's group permissions to have effect and on my Windows 7 system I have the Administrator account disabled without any problems.

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    It will only help if you logon that account i have did that for many years working under the administrator account ! downside is that you can't use the store anymore in windows 8 / 8.1.

Greetz base

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    properly virus or bad change to reg

16. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    They're plain text files, so feel free to show the author where he's inserted a 'virus or bad change to reg'.

17. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    As a rule you should not run everything with elevated permissions.
    The only reason elevated permissions exist is to modify system files.
    If MS allowed this by default just imagine how many malware programs would appear.

If you are getting a permissions error, then you might check your uninstall list and do a malware scan.