Integrating drivers into startup recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by shinji, Jan 13, 2013.

1. shinji

shinji MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2009
    Is there any way to integrate additional drivers into the startup recovery for Windows 8? What I mean by this is the screen it goes into if it fails to boot more than once.

Currently I need to manually load the raid driver in order for it to see my Windows 8 install by opening a command prompt and using drvload to load it into memory.

2. shinji

shinji MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2009
    #3 shinji, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks! I'll look to that. Looks like the utility that the article refers to exists so it is a point in the right direction.

Update: It worked perfectly. Thanks for the link!

For those of you looking to do this and not being able to follow it please be aware that on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 the Recovery WinRE.wim file is typically on the hidden recovery partition. This also means you will need to assign a drive letter temporarily in order to do so. This can always be done via the diskpart command but never via disk management itself.

Otherwise... just follow the directions....

My commands from beginning to end... (sorry no pics here) Comments in parenthesis ().

REAgentC.exe /info (Find out here that it is on partition 1 of disk 0. Typically where the recovery partition is)
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    assign (assigning a drive letter...)
    list volume (Find it is letter F)

mkdir c:\wimtemp
    dism /mount-wim /WimFile:f:\recovery\bb338b68-0d2c-11df-be64-84e1223bd0bb\winre.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\wimtemp
    dism /image:c:\wimtemp /add-driver /driver:C:\local\temp /recurse
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\wimtemp /commit
    rmdir /q c:\wimtemp
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    remove (dropping the drive letter)

And when I verified it (using system restore as that means) I found that it went right in and didn't fallback to the menus again. :) I had it integrate the raid drivers that are used during the windows 8 install.

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Nice.... & Copied