Integrating office 2013 to Windows 8 install.wim

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bertikul, Apr 28, 2013.

1. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #21 HALIKUS, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    I find anytime you make changes to a wim, its a good idea to re-export the wim too. As an example, say i have a 7 gig all in one install.wim i made of various OS. Every month i run a bat i made to update the newest hotfixes in a copy of the install.wim that will make it 8.5 gig. If i re-export the wim (%imagex% /compress maximum /export %WimSource% * %~dp0install2.wim) it cleans it up and shrinks to about 8 gig.

Another trick is to install (or imagex deploy) 8 into an empty VHD, and then when you have to capture it you can either mount the vhd and capture that, or else convert the vhd to wim.

2. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    GImageX or imagex? which of these two is the best for compression and mount the image?
    I've used both, and GImageX gui has shown better, I do not use the command dism / online / cleanup-image / startcomponentcleanup, only the disk cleaner and remove the bkp update is necessary dism / online / cleanup-image / startcomponentcleanup?
    :confused:

3. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Well, one is command line, and the other is a gui. As far as i know, they both work the same. I swear by imagex for more control and bat scripts, but Gimagex is useful for a quick change and those unfamiliar with cmd commands. DISM has nothing to do with imagex btw. Many of the commands can be skipped in Murphys tut, but they are there for your benefit. Otherwise you will have a bloated, amateur final result.

4. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    I using gimagex gave a difference of 300 mb unless, in the final image, comparing the same image do with imagex.why?:confused:

5. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Hi
    when I tried the iso file in VMware it showed the: "Select the operating system you want to install" window. There was no operating system I could choose in there. It was empty.

I had to do: imagex /flags "ProfessionalWMC" /info C:\Win_Pro_WMC_Office_2013\sources\install.wim 1 "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64"
    to have a Image and image name in "Select the operating system you want to install" window.

BUT Setup should not show that window as I have only one image in install.wim - "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" - nothing else. I don't have an All-in-One install.wim

How can I make Setup, as before, choose automatically the only one image "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" without asking me to do that and go on with installing windows? There should be an imagex/dism command out there
    THANKS

6. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi, could someone explain to me how to work re-export of imagex, an example? Thanks:rolleyes:

7. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Export a specific index...
    imagex /compress maximum /export MAIN.wim 1 install.wim

Export all indexes....
    imagex /compress maximum /export MAIN.wim * install.wim

Export with a description of the index...
    imagex /compress maximum /export MAIN.wim 1 install.wim "Index name"

@bertikul, an autounattend.xml may help.

8. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    "@bertikul, an autounattend.xml may help" HALIKUS Thanks for replying.
    yes that's what I have been doing recently. BUT before I didn't need a autounattend.xml for that. Windows setup chose automatically the image inside wim.
    Thanks anyway

9. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you used to have an ei.cfg in sources, and now you don't? Besides ei.cfg and an autounattend, im not sure of anything that bypasses portions of the setup. I personally don't use a single indexed install.wim often, but i thought it was "normal" to ask wich image you want, even if there is only one.

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #30 murphy78, May 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    @ myrphy78 Thanks for helping

In fact after sysprep & capture I did a imagex /compress maximum /export ...... and everything works just fine. It's exactly What I wanted.

@ Halikus Thanks man.

No when you have install.wim and ei.cfg in sources file it normally doesn't ask you to choose the image. For some reason it was asking me. Now after /export it's working as it should

12. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #32 HALIKUS, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    Glad you got it sorted. If you managed to integrate Office, can you specify how large the final wim is before and after? Im just curious if the wim grew by 500 meg or 2 gig.

Im starting to think gimagex is the source of problems for alot of posts on here. It needs to update the sku flags for starters, wich i think may of been your problem.

13. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    hi,thanks halikus for explanation,other dubt,gimagex manages to reduce the final size of the install.wim in 300 MB, comparing the same with imagex, install.wim built in tests here, doubts why this difference? gimagex has more power to compress?:rolleyes:

14. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you happen to use (%imagex% /compress maximum /export *wimstuff*) the compress maximum switch when using imagex? That may be the difference. And with gimagex skus, i meant that they have ultimate, business, etc, but no ProffessionalWMC or Core.

15. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Yes, maximum compress in imagex, but in the case I mentioned the mounted image built with gimagex and imagex.thanks

16. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    This comand dism/online/cleanup-image/startcomponentcleanup ,I tried it on Windows 7 and did not recognize starcomponetcleanup says, but in Windows 8 I managed to do, why not works in Windows 7?:confused:

17. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    This command with DISM is only for Windows 8 and clean the winsxs folder, this is a new option. Unfortunatly this is the problem with Windows 7 , the winsxs folder grows up due to many updates and keeps old and new ones, not Windows 8.

18. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks, coleoptere, one more doubt, make the file. win by imagex without using Windows PE, but by Windows installed in hd with the aik installed, works or failure? sorry for the questions, I'm learning now ....:(

19. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #39 coleoptere2007, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    Well, I don't exactly what you've done.
    You should post a screenshot with all you've done before capturing the image file.

20. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    The win+office 2013+ADK wim is about 6.15 gb, so need to either use a usb stick or DVD-DL. I don't use gimagex. Just imagex /..... commands.