integration of vista sp2 into vista sp1 dvd

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jimwatts, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    I used reverse integration method to install vista Sp1 to a separate partition then pressed ctrl shift F3 to reboot into windows prep tool. Installed sp2 then ran compcln.exe to make the image smaller. then selected generalize and shutdown.
    Then i booted to the waik and ran imagex.exe /compress maximum /flags "Home Premium" /capture c: d:\INSTALL.WIM " Windows Vista Home Premium Sp2"
    This said the image was captured ok. I then booted into Ultra iso and deleted install.wim from the sources folder of my vista aio dvd image then added the new install.wim and saved it. Burnt to DVD and tried installing from it ...when it gets to do you want to install product key and you say no it goes to the next window then can't open the install.wim .... i tried opening it with windowssim and creating a new catalogue file then copying that to sources too but still the same..... any ideas anyone please?

You can open the install.wim fine in windows sim.

2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I thinks it's easier to download an original MSDN sp2 integrated iso than doing it yourself. This way you're sure it's 100% ok and you don't have to do all the hassle.
    But I tried this myself when sp2 came out and everything went fine though, maybe you should add /check and/or /verify to the imagex command to make sure there are no errors in the new wim.
    Or use the new waik 2.0 for win7 and use dism instead of imagex, dism is compatible with vista + sp1 and newer, so it will work with your sp2 integrated install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    Figured it out. It was all to do with wording. instead of Home Premium i had to do HomePremium with no spaces and the same instead of Windows Vista Home Premium Sp2. Worked a treat now.