Intel Driver Updates

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Michelle68, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
  2. gikone

gikone MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    thanks for updates mate!

3. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    Has anyone tried to install the Intel RST v10.1.0.1008 driver on Server 2008 R2 SP1? The EXE setup is telling me that "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software," and I'm wondering if it's being confused by SP1. I do have a Series 5 chipset, so that can't be the issue. I also have the .Net 3.51 feature installed (it's a component in Server that you have to enable), so that installation requirement should be met.

4. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009
    On clean fresh install of OS the RST software should be installed by the f6 method at add driver screen with the bios storage option set to Raid or AHCI.

After installation of the OS the Intel chipset software must be installed.

Was this a full clean install or update to SP1 and then RST v10.1.0.1008 attempted?

Was a different "generic"(not customized by server maker) version of RST from Intels download site ever installed before adding SP1 if this was just an upgrade and not a full clean install?

5. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks to you both. Yes, this was an IDE installation, and both the BIOS and Windows are set that way. However, what I thought I could do was make the Registry change, install RST, and reboot to change the BIOS. RST doesn't like that though, so as suggested, I'll just reboot after making the Registry change but before installing RST.

BTW, I think there's a typo above: changing from 3 to 0 enables AHCI.

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Sorry I did make a mistake, as soon as I read your post I remembered that indeed is the case!

You should make the registry changes first, for both msahci and iastorv keys, reboot, then reboot again, change to AHCI mode in the bios, then install the RST software once back in Windows.

The reboot after changing the registry setting just ensures that it is set properly, its not entirely necessary!

The RST driver & software can only be installed after changing both the registry keys and changing to AHCI in the bios. The registry keys alone just tells Windows to load the driver, they aren't actually 'utilised' till AHCI mode is set in the bios :)

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I face a peculiar problem in Intel RST 10.1.0.1008 dated 15.12.2010 which resolves after going back to 10.0.0.146 (note 10.0 and not 10.1)

The problem arises in the morning after many hours of desktop shutdown. When I switch on the PC, Windows 7 Enterprise x64 loads to welcome screen, desktop screen is seen, and then clicking on anything gives a `0' icon (which is basically it is processing). Then, nothing. Mouse stops working and even shutdown from start menu brings the `0' icon. The only option is to ctrl-alt-del and then log off, etc.
    Restoring the system image to before this version cured this problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Have you tried 10.1.2.1004?

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes I will try that. No harm or no fear since I always have a system image. Even previously, I had some problems with 10.1 when they were first released and had to shift to 10.0.0.146 which have worked flawlessly so far. The problem related to slower acronis copies and basically no progress if more than 1 other transfers were going on (eg syncback pro). This is of course a minor problem with AHCI that I have noticed since I shifted from IDE in Dec 2010. At that time, I did not wait for long and reverted to 10.0.0.146 within an hour, with no overnight 10.1. on the PC. this time, I installed 10.1 on a Saturday (weekend fiddling), and this problem happened on Sunday and Monday. Restored back to 10.0. and no problem on Tues and Wed. The problem does go away with some logging off and some forceful stuff but it should not happen at all.

I would dearly love to keep updated on RST as perhaps 10.5 will have something for SSD. Even recent NVIDIA drivers (260.xx and later) have not worked well for me on 9800GT and I am still stuck with 258.96.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I could not find an appropriate thread for this query and it did not seem worthwhile to open a new thread.

In Dec 2010, I had shifted from ide to ahci for windows 7 for esata and other benefits. This was done in BIOS and then reinstalling windows 7 (registry tweaks can also work but I had the time to reinstall windows 7). The itch to do something else has returned. Can I shift from AHCI to RAID in BIOS (and reinstall windows 7). My MB/BIOS supports it. That would give flexibility of setting up RAID later if I want to. But is it of any benefit over AHCI if I do not plan on RAID now.

11. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009
    I use them.

I've had drivers they posted not work.

I informed sd admin

If it's WHQL I try them.Sometime no WHQL like todays RST 10.5

There is a third member of the Intel 6-series chipset family that will begin shipping in Q2: In desktops it will be the Z68. Take the desktop P67, add processor graphics support and you’ve got Z68. It’s as simple as that.

The Z68 is also slated to support something called SSD Caching, which Intel hasn’t said anything about yet. With version 10.5 of Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology drivers, Z68 will support SSD caching. This sounds like the holy grail of SSD/HDD setups, where you have a single drive letter and the driver manages what goes on your SSD vs. HDD. Whether SSD Caching is indeed a DIY hybrid hard drive technology remains to be seen. It’s also unclear whether or not P67/H67 will get SSD Caching once 10.5 ships.

modded inf files allows unsupported hardware to use newer drivers.

12. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009