Intel Driver Updates

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Michelle68, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
  2. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
  5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Recently windows update offered HD3000 graphics update for my laptop (core i7-2760 QM). After installing it, the intel control panel showed 8.15.10.2653 or 2659 but the ccleaner and windows control panel-programs and features-still showed the previous installed version, which was 8.15.10.2509.

Any thoughts.

6. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    RST 11.5 removal instructions (since it doesn't clean up properly)

This driver is actually based on the RSTe branch, it installs a filter driver that registers to the host lower filter reg keys.

SMART is not available in this driver and it causes MmSt (see poolmon/pooltag) to rapidly consume paged pool when heavy file access (searching for instance) is performed.

The removal of this driver is not as simple as uninstalling the driver (which is also performed when doing an RST upgrade install). The iastorA and iastorF(filter) services are not disabled and removed during the update, and the iaStorF filter is not removed from the HDD bus lowerfilter, which means the driver is still loaded even with a different version of the IRST driver. This as the case, it results in the MmSt paging out heavily when buffering pte's during a search.

To remove this driver properly, the user must do the following exactly in this order

Install a different RST driver or revert back to the standard microsoft ahci driver

Reboot

Open an elevated command prompt
    type sc delete iastora - enter
    type sc delete iastorf - enter

This flags the services for delete (DO NOT RESTART YET)

Open up regedit
    search for iaStorf.
    3 results should find it under the REG_MULTI_SZ titled LowerFilters (only 1 is required to be removed as explained below)

or find it directly @, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Removing from all of them isn't required, the controlset002 is a backup control set incase you need to use last working configuration.

to make things simpler, just remove it from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\currentcontrolset\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and it will remove it from the current control set in use.

Do not remove the entire REG_MULTI_SZ key, especially if it has multiple filters in the list, only remove the one titled iastorf.

After this reboot
    Windows should boot successfully, and you should readily notice a lower non paged pool value as a result (i wasn't able to isolate it to affecting a specific non paged pool, but it does affect MmSt, a paged pool value)

Once this is done, delete the iastorA and iastorF sys files from C:\windows\system32\drivers and reboot again

Then open device manager and set the show hidden devices setting, a ghosted iastorA device should be listed which will completely remove now (It won't remove so easily as long as the corresponding .sys file still exists hence the previous instructions).

At this point, you can go through the registry again and remove any instances of iastorA and iastorF that still exist.

7. Squall-Leonhart

Jul 23, 2009
    Sorry, you were infact right, as i mentioned in the above post the driver though it runs the uninstaller to clean itself up before updating, it fails to remove all traces of the iastora and iastorf registry data leading to the RSTe filter driver still being used with the older packages leading to paged pool leaks and unusual performance issues.

8. Squall-Leonhart

Jul 23, 2009
    I actually put myself into a 7b bsod loop after removing the driver improperly.... forgot to remove the lowerfilter :3

9. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    How come the Intel Website Drivers are so outdated compared to the ones posted here? I have a fishy feeling about them especially that the site places a URL link to their site in every folder of the contained zip, not sure if I can trust em

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    There is not a lot that is fishy in stationdrivers. Only thing is that it can be considered a repository for official drivers and also a place for yet unreleased non-WHQL drivers. I trust it completely and nothing has so far broken my trust. Only thing is that I prefer to be a bit conservative in installing non-WHQL or drivers not listed on original manufacturer website.