Intel EFI (Bios) Mod for Slic 2.1

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tapmal5, Aug 15, 2009.

1. deligurt87

deligurt87 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2010
  2. Phaark

Phaark MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2017
    Hi, my first post, let me know if its in the wrong area etc...
    I have an Intel DQ45CB board that I want to replace SLIC2.1 in.
    The board will replace a dead, (wont post for some reason) one so I want to insert previous board's SLIC info in order to utilise existing recovery CD, diskimages etc.
    I can clear the SLIC info with OA2intelwin erase, (reboot, all gone).
    I can insert other SLIC's, (with oa2intelwin) reboot and activate no problems as captured data for these SLICs is already supplied.
    But, I dont have the necessary files for my OEM, ie oem public key file, marker file and encrypted oem public key file, commonly seen as pubkey.bin, marker.bin and sign.bin to build a package to insert the SLIC info.
    Where do I get these files from?
    I can see references to this data in SLIC Toolkit, Am I able to use SLIC Toolkit somehow to dump the data from an existing bios with the required OEM SLIC2.1 to give me theses files?

I also tried using Phoenix Tool V2.66 to add the SLIC info I dumped from SLIC Toolkit into an untouched bios file. It loads in ok but wont flash.
    The process I used was load new bios file into Phoenix Tool V2.66, choose other, load my SLIC data and load RW Everything report and Go, creates new bios_SLIC.bio.
    Throw the new bios_SLIC.bio file onto a USB drive, reboot, F7 to enter Flash mode, select the new bios_SLIC.bio file, it reads it for a count of 40 and then displays a rebooting in 10 prompt.
    Nothing done, so I'm assuming it was unacceptable format for whatever reason.
    I tried using an RW Everything report from my running Bios with no SLIC info and with the ASUS Notebook SLIC info.
    I tried with no RW Everything report, no success with flash.
    The bios file I'm using, as I said is a fresh one for this board, it loads using the inbuilt bios flash utility, it loads using the recovery process and it loads from Windows using the Intel Integrator Assistant.
    Actually I dont even have any success using Phoenix Tool to create a flashable bios file with any of the SLIC data it came with.
    So that tells me I probably need to use a particular method with it.
    To summarise I have a good donor board, another board with the correct OEM info in it which I can get data from, a million different SLICs , Certs and keys that I have gathered up as I have been trolling in and out of the forum.
    Two versions of OA2IntelWin, (6 and 7, 6 works for me)Phoenix Tool V2.66, SLIC Toolkit V3.2, RW Everything V1.4
    I would prefer not to have somebody say send me this and this and I'll do it for you....I would like to be able to end up being able to do this myself for this board and hopefully be able to port the knowledge to other boards.
    Where do I go from here?

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Phaark

1. Which OEM SLIC do you need?
    2. Intel firmwares are digitally signed, so can't be flashed once modified using Phoenix Tool.

4. Phaark

Phaark MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2017
    A1. Thanks for your reply Tito. The SLIC is ASIARGYLE17_V2.1
    A2. Well that explains why the modified bios is not accepted.
    So that brings me back to needing the bin files for AO2intelwin. Are you able to assist?

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Phaark

I can, for sure. To start with, can you please dump & share the SLIC bin, cert & possibly the OEM:SLP key from the bundled OS from the older PC?

6. Phaark

Phaark MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2017
    OK let me gather it up in zip file and attch.
    I will be away for 5 hours.

Attached Files:

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for your contribution - this particular OEM is unknown to MDL community.

I'll prepare the appropriate package & will notify you ASAP.

8. Phaark

Phaark MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2017
    Thanks Tito!! I was away longer than I intended but I see you are not ready also. This is not urgent, only something that I need to get done eventually. I would like to be able to produce the necessary files myself if its possible and you are able to instruct how it is done.
    Thanks in Advance!!

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Phaark

I've started a conversation with you.

10. Phaark

Phaark MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2017
    OK Tito, please excuse my newbyness to this.. I just reply to your message to let you know I am watching for a message from you?

11. ilavu

ilavu MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Any one with 2.3 or 2.4 pubkey.bin, sign.bin and marker.bin?

12. Bandits

Bandits MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2009
    #993 Bandits, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Request if anyone has successfully got a 2.3 or 2.4 SLIC working on any of the 7th generation NUC's

Intel NUC NUC7iXXXX

Edit

Made my own 2.4 DELLMARK.BIN from the DELL[PE_SC3]2.4-2B4E6B10.BIN in OEMCERT_AND_SLICS_2017-10-18.7z.

Used the DELLPUBK.BIN from the 2.2 directory in Intel_EFI_SLIC&SLP_Tool_09.OCT.2013.zip.

Used the JSIGN.BIN from Intel_EFI_SLIC&SLP_Tool_09.OCT.2013.zip.

Used the oa2intelwin.exe from Intel_EFI_SLIC&SLP_Tool_09.OCT.2013.zip.

From administrator command prompt ran
    oa2intelwin.exe erase
    oa2intelwin.exe update DELLPUBK.BIN DELLMARK.BIN JSIGN.BIN
    oa2intelwin.exe status

Installed DELL-DD981F15.XRM-MS from OEMCERT_AND_SLICS_2017-10-18.7z.

Restarted

Successfully activated Server 2012 R2 Datacenter on a 7th Generation NUC NUC717BNH.

13. DrunkF

DrunkF MDL Junior Member

Jun 15, 2010
    My God - it does work! Bandists you're a genius!!

Just to report that I've tried it on 3 differed family NUCs (nuc7 Kaby, nuc6 SkyLake, nuc5 Broadwell - sadly nuc4 died time ago, yes I have one of each) and SLIC gets inserted just fine. Should you wish to sell it (or RMA) just erase it as above. A BIOS update does not clear the above.

If anybody has problems making the DellMark.bin and DellPub.bin from the SLIC 2.4 BIN I can upload them.

To make them - easiest is to use HxD Hex Editor on the Dell SLIC 2.4 BIN and make the two by copying 2 arrays from it (dell marker B6 bytes length) and (dell pub 9C bytes length) and save as 2 files to replace the original ones.

Obviously this allows you to now run and activate any server 2012/2012 R2/2016 whatever you wish.

If you've set them with Windows 10 licences the above does not seem to mess up the activation.

I hope this helps fellow NUC owners ;)

14. ssabb3

ssabb3 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2016
    #995 ssabb3, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    DrunkF, could you upload the split Dell2.4 files? I am not totally sure where to start the cut/paste operation within the dell bin-file. Thanks
    /Ssabb3

update: never mind, realized the two files were to be created "backwards" i.e. the marker file pattern was after the pubkey. The pubkey extracted from the 2.4 bin file is identical to the one supplied with the dell 2.2.

15. DrunkF

DrunkF MDL Junior Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Great, glad it works for you too. I was not sure I can upload as I'm a beginner but you've figured it out anyway ;)

16. neuche

neuche MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2009
    Please can anybody help me with modding my bios for Slic2.1
    Motherboard is Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC

17. DrunkF

DrunkF MDL Junior Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I am afraid I don't know more than above and I only have NUCs. Can you try the instructions above - they worked for me on 3 different NUCs.

18. neuche

neuche MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2009
    can u upload the files please

19. zippy0502

zippy0502 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    Hi Phaark, did you ever get this bios mod? I also have a Intel DQ45CB and I am looking the SLIC bios