Intel Optane Memory

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by uffbros, Nov 11, 2018.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I have read up on this Intel Optane memory thing. I have a few options for a few decent computers I have found but they have this new Optane memory. I have read that this isn't good on a SSD. I also read you can turn it off with software named Intel management software. Is this true? Say I get this machine and later want an SSD in it...Can I just shut off the octane in that application? I won't buy a machine if I can't later upgrade it to a SSD. Thanks for any input.

2. Tovadyk

Tovadyk MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    I have an Acer Swift notebook that has a combo of a 1TB HDD and Intel Optane memory in M.2 format

The two combine to give a 1TB storage device that behaves as fast as an SSD but at significantly less cost

You are correct you cannot combine the Optane and an SSD but in my case I can replace the M.2 Optane with an SSD in the same format

3. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    But I believe you can turn it off 2 ways....either in BIOS or using 2 different software programs..Intel Management and Intel Optane programs. From what I'm reading You use either method to turn off the Optane then you can put in a SSD keeping the Optane disabled. Just want to see if I was reading this correctly.

4. Tovadyk

Tovadyk MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Yes I do have the option to disable the Optane module either from the Bios or from Intel Rapid Storage Manager - but I have not tested this i.e. I have not done this and then replaced the hdd with an sdd

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #5 Joe C, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    What are the specs of this note book? Is the Intel Optane soldered on the board or is it on an M.2 slot?
    If you have it in an M.2 slot you can probably just remove it and install an M.2 SSD drive in it's place. Possibly an NVMe drive, but after checking some generic Acer Swift specs it does not look promising to use an NVMe drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Guess you read it correctly.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I was a little skeptical with optane. Originally I believed it would behave like a hdd with ssd cache (hybrid).
    With that in mind I would think you'd be better off having your OS on a M.2 NVMe drive & hdd as storage.
    Wow I was wrong. Optane+HDD was faster than an NVMe drive in all the tests I tried.
    With the newer UEFI & drivers you can also setup NVMe with OS and set Optane+HDD as a Data drive - AWESOME!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...