Intel's radical Optane next-gen SSD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by AcuraTML, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That is one of the problems with mechanical parts. Often times, when it is aging and wearing away it becomes noisy. If that is not the case the performance is drastically reduced and the next thing one might see is a long booting time or the Windows 10 processing wheel keeps rotating.

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012

It's kinda like the old days when when I was on dial up and couldn't justify the cost of going to broad band....We all know what that means today, you don't even get a dial up modem on a new pc anymore. When I did cough up the extra for broadband I was like WTF???? Why did I wait so long!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    the difference is SSD will keep dropping in price because of so much competition but broad band seems to get more expensive all the time sense xfinity and att have a monopoly on it... not counting att $10 a month equipment fee charge and does not matter that u own your modem they charge u for it.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Of course broadband was much cheaper back then, but still much more than dial up was, How much will or how far can prices drop on the SSD's?
    Do you think a 1tb SSD will reach $100. and if so, how long will that be?
    In the PC market game, everything drops in price and engineering gets better....unless there is a fire (Hynix factory in '13) or a flood (WD hard drive manufacture plant in '09). wait and you probably can get a cheaper drive but for myself, by that time I may want a better drive anyway. I'm on my second SSD, my first being an OCZ 90gb drive that I paid almost $200. for and my second a Samsung 250gb that I paid about $150. I did manage to sell the OCZ drive but can't recall what I got for it

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    A rather exaggerated analogy. Since, as I already stated, my mechanical drive is very fast, a more applicable analogy would be getting a car that has top speed 180 km/h to replace your current one that only reaches 150 km/h, when the maximum speed on the motorways is 100 km/h.

And talking of broadband, the weak link, or limiting factor, in my case is not the drive but my connection speed, which is low by today's standards. But I do not consider it worthwhile paying more for a faster one. In life, we have to accept reasonable compromises everywhere to find an all round optimum "operating point". Beyond that applies the so called "Law of diminishing returns", which means you pay a lot more to get something only a little better.

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i will also remind people a 10000 rpm or 15000 rpm gaming mechanical drives for desktops are super fast but they never truly drop in price their very expensive...but now that SSD is here and prices dropping this high end mechanical drives will vanish.

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Price is still the major hindrance to the proliferation of SSD in the market. As soon as it drops to the same level as mechanical hard drive for the same size there will be an upward movement in sales while companies quickly stop the production. It is a matter of time for it to become scarce and outdated commodity.

9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Perhaps 4 to 5 years time we will see 1 tera SSD for $100.

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    And probably after 4 to 5 years 1 Tera won't be such a big deal and we'll be talking of Peta (= 1000 Tera, I looked it up). And equally probably, SSD won't be the big medicine either, and there will be newer technology.

A kitten chasing its tail knows more about reality than we think.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #32 Joe C, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    I do not know how you can form an honest opinion about SSD's when you do not use or own one

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    I don’t know why you are so preoccupied about my opinions, but I’ll answer.

Firstly, I suppose by “honest” you mean “viable” or “reasonable”, as I’m not being dishonest or trying to cheat with my opinion. ;)

And what you quoted is really a prediction, as it refers to possible future developments.

And it is my opinion that owning and predicting are two different things.
    For example, I predict that self-driving cars will soon establish themselves on the roads, even though I am far from owning one. Furthermore, I contend that this prediction about self-drive cars is a very viable one, despite my not owning one.

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Whatever already today there you can get a 1TB SSD for about 200$. And 1TB is already a superfluous thing for most people. 128GB is more than enough for a couple of OSes and a decent amount of installed SW, everything else is fine on a cheap and slow Green HDD.

No need to wait for anything. The point is not what will come tomorrow, the point is what you need today.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #35 Joe C, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    I did edit my post so I can provide a clearer understanding. Yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, and I'm not going prevent you from making your opinion. But you should have a more "honest" opinion by personally experiencing the things you are forming your opinion about. I never ment to imply that you are "dishonest" in anyway to anybody else except yourself

If you have a relative or a friend that has a laptop or a pc with an SSD in it and you stated that you tried this SSD out on so and so's pc and say it totally sux'd, Then that would a more "honest" opinion of yours.

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    Yes, you changed the quote, which makes your comment clearer. But I thought we discussed this matter on the previous page.

Anyway, it’s not important, we just exchange opinions here to learn something new.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    NVMe drives are already very fast, I don't know if you could tell the difference between stupid fast and really stupid fast. I'd be hard pressed to go with Kaby Lake just for an Optane drive and beside that, Micron will probably come out with a version of their own soon

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @lite8 thanks for the heads up dude very intesresting article; as ever Intel X AMD war :g: