intermittent strange wireless keyboard and mouse behaviour

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by byngo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. byngo

byngo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    #1 byngo, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    Hi, First post,
    i've been searhing ggogle and these forum posts but have not found anything related.

I used to use XP pro Sp3 with a microsoft USB wireless multimedia keyboard and mouse and never had any problem with it on my desktop.
    On a brand new HDD, i installed WIN7 32-bit ultimate and successfully activated with Daz's loader. (same PC, new HDD)
    I still use the same keyboard and mouse and have installed the latest intellipoint software and checked microsoft drivers are the latest. i have also checked my power saving profile, particularly with regards to USB ports.

My problem is that every now and then (maybe 5 mins , maybe 5 hrs) the keyboard seems to go to sleep, (although the multi-media keys still work). Pressing the alphabetical keys often starts opening settings menus in IE8 for example or other weird events / windows.
    At the same time as this occurance, my mouse works (sort of) but if i click the left button on a folder it will open the "properties" instead of opening the folder.

To "re-awaken" the keyboard and correct the mouse functions I have learnt that if i press "control" and "ALT" together, everything comes back to normal.

Can anyone shed any light on this. I am concerned it might be malware (like a keylogger or something) but i have Kapersky 2010 and have run spybot S&D, windows defender, malwarebytes. Maybe i'm paranoid on that point and im chasing the wrong direction.

The last thing i tried was having a PS2 mouse plugged in at the same time.
    When things went messed up i though maybe the PS2 mouse would function normally, but it went messed up just like the wireless one that was still connected.
    Considering this was all fine under XP, i don't think i need a new keyboard and mouse. :(

2. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Strange, using wireless mouse on all my computers running Windows 7, no problems at all. Since my three normal use computers is laptop, I do not have any reply for the wireless keyboard.
    But uses that on a Vista computer, without any problems.

Have you checked your batteries?

3. byngo

byngo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response, Yes, I forgot to mention the obvious one, I did check the batteries. (Intellipoint usually tells you if the batteries are low anyway).

4. crazyquay

crazyquay MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    I've been running Windows 7 x64 for some time using both a USB wireless mouse and USB pen tablet. A week ago the fun started.. pen tablet not recognized on re-boot (soft or cold) or I could move the pointer around for a few seconds then nothing. The mouse also was behaving strangely -- eratic jumping across the screen and the buttons weren't always working. Reinstalling drivers didn't solve the problem nor was plugging the devices in other ports of any use. Dreaded rootkit or some other badware??.

Before zapping the C: drive and starting fresh, I decided to clear CMOS and reload the motherboard's bios. Well that did the trick...all is back to normal. Now this may not be your fix but maybe worth a try before you send everything to bit heaven and start fresh.

5. byngo

byngo MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    Mmmm, thanks for that tip. Trouble is........

When i first built this PC some 2 years ago, i first had trouble with the dual core (E8400) not being recognised properly, Asus released an update which got it working but i had occasional BSODs. Part of my trouble shooting for that was to update the BIOS yet again with another update from Asus. My PC has been running fine (on XP) for many months so I would be quite hesitant to clear my CMOS and go through BIOS updates again.
    I will search the Asus support site though and see if any newer BIOS updates release notes identifiy with my keyboard / mouse issue and windows 7

6. crazyquay

crazyquay MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    What I meant to suggest wasn't that the original BIOS had an inherent bug but that part of it became corrupt over time. Simply reflashing the 'original' BIOS solved my USB problems.