Internal LAN MAC address shows ff ff ff ff ff ff

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by apl1, Nov 14, 2010.

1. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    On a Thinkpad T61 I had to program bios with programmer. Everything is fine but in bios posts internal MAC is ff ff ff ff ff ff. Thinkpad Hardware Maintenance Disk does not have dmi tools for loading MAC address back onto chip unlike hp dmi tools which have the option.

I have original MAC address on the bottom of my laptop.
    Could someone please tell me how to update MAC? (It is a Intel PXE 1.2.45 version- It is controlled by system bios)

Suggestions like location where it is stored in uncompressed bios FL1 or LOM file to add to phlash16, Thinkpad HMM dmi tools, etc.

2. inuit

inuit MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2010
    you can easy mod with softmod under windows!

regedit
    go
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}] and open... this key
    you see key 0000 to 00xx

...seek right key for your networkcard...

Example: your networkcard is on 0014

make a reg file with this...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0014]
    "NetworkAddress"="0060386E239F"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0014]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0014]

... change right nummber xxxx and to your macip and import reg file restart windows and you have then this macip

you can do this for all your network,wlan,blueth ect.... easy with change the 00XX and mackip

3. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    Hi, thanks for replying. The only reason I want a hardware solution is so I don't have to write in values and restart everytime. Also, I want to be able to use in multiple OS.

HP DMI tool has the option to write MAC Internal address into bios location but of course it's meant for HP laptops.

Perhaps there is a specific location to write into the Hardware Maintenance Tool? Maybe EEPROM.exe hack via compal program?
    (R 20 is system board number)

Otherwise, I have to shut down onboard NIC and use PCMCIA card which sticks out and looks ugly.

4. inuit

inuit MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2010
    Have you ever spoken with "middleton" he is so focused on the T61 Biosmod`s ;)

h**p://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/459591-t61-x61-sata-ii-1-5-gb-s-cap-willing-pay-solution-8.html#post6501443

5. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    h**p://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14952
    That link above shows various dmi associations with different machines.

Middleton knows a lot about bios modifying. I can only guess that if Compal string modification could work to add MAC address or HP DMI tool, etc. that would work best. Otherwise, perhaps the exact location to add into uncompressed bios so I can use phlash16 then okay with that also.

You're right. He could do any modification to just about anything out there.

6. ericchak

ericchak MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009
  7. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    From what I can understand, each manufacturer has a specific location address to place the Internal MAC address, System Board Number, etc and you have to use their programs to put them back in. The BIOS sets up everything else that is not individual specific.

If I understand correctly, your bios is an Awardflash which is different from a Phoenix one.

Phoenix bioses are most difficult and not user friendly to update, not to mention that Thinkpads are extremely stubborn to work with. Crisis recovery will not work unless you have the bootblock jumper installed into your advanced dock and I don't recommend you doing that unless you want something else in your home going wrong. You really need to be in a safe place workbench to do that. Otherwise, programmer is the other method which will work with virtually any motherboard provided you have the uncompressed bios and a very steady hand to take off the chip and re-solder when complete. Very time consuming process. I don't like doing that method at all unless absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't have had to do all this unnecessary work but IBM/Lenovo support costs $700+ to fix and it was their fault for a faulty bios upgrade with original bios in the first place.

I really need some dmi to flash MAC address into BIOS as you have.

8. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    Actually, after re-reading your thread and checking google there are several articles regarding eeupdate.exe and Intel 82566 chipset which the Thinkpad T61 uses. They claim to have fixed the problem there as well as you have.

Can't paste the link but it is MACFlash-- professional modify network card mac address tool.

Others found googling eeupdate.exe and 82566. Refers to Chinafix and other various websites.

It seems the Vostro 200 uses the same chipset but the google article refers to MACFlash tool. I suppose if you did it with the Vostro 200 program I could do the same. Only, I cannot find the one you used. It just mentions allraid-vostro which seems to be a flashing program for awdflash which will not work in this case.

So, what I need now is the latest eeupdate.exe file which supports all the latest Intel chipsets (for me Intel 82566).

9. inuit

inuit MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2010
    I think the ones who can help you here is: yen or andyp

10. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    Actually, it looks like eeupdate v5.1 or later could work. I looked up eeupdate5.0.rar and it only goes to 2005. It may work but I don't really know.

Also, there is a site IBM T61/X61 under google eeupdate v5.1 and is under the website h**p://www-bblianmeng-com. That website claims to have the file to do it with these systems. However, I don't know how to register for the website and download the file. They seem to know a lot about everything if you can read Chinese characters.

Could someone please download the file and place at mediafire or rapidshare?
    Thank you kindly.

11. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    #11 apl1, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    (OP)
    Just use 51nb.com. Register, Login and get files. I cannot upload due to file size limitation. It is simple to register. Just use translator if there are any problems. Name,Password,Email,Reason,etc.

Google search: T61 Thinkpad eeupdate (look for X61S)

I've tried all the other programs in public domain, eeupdate.exe and eeupdate5.0.rar but they cannot detect the NIC card.

I have yet to try the downloaded file but looks promising.

12. apl1

apl1 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    Using 51nb MACFlash folder I successfully wrote back the original address to the motherboard bios. The file size is 243kb, version 5.02.

The only thing I don't know is the checksum update. I suppose it could be anything but I hope whomever wrote that program did it correctly because I have no way of verifying.

Just used eeupdate.exe /nic=1 /mac=(your address).
    Can also dump file before and after programming by using /all /dump switches.

Anything with a bigger file size than above should work as well.

Also, do not use Windows Vista to winphlash anything. According to the website instructions provided by IBM/Lenovo windows flashing is limited to XP and below. Must use CD if Vista and greater.

I have no idea why the computer automatically installs the bios knowing that it will break your system in Vista but that is Thinkvantage.

Hopefully, it will help others not to try a bios update in newer Windows.

13. giak

giak MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    #15 giak, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
    Hi to All!
    I have the same problem on my lenovo X201Tablet (Q57 chipset): I have to restore a different MAC Address of "Intel 82577 Gigabit Network connection".
    The software utility posted is too old for me.
    Intel suggest this:

h**p://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2263/intelw.jpg

But i can't download it.
    Could you help me?

Thank you all

PS: Please excuse my vehemence, but I'm really troubled. :( :(
    Thank you again

14. giak

giak MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    If someone has a Privileged Account on the Intel website, this is the link to
    download the tool suite called:
    LAN Software Tool: Intel Network connections tools
    Under Ethernet cathegory.

h**p://edc.intel.com/Platforms/Core-QM57/#hardware

Thank you all

15. giak

giak MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    Someone has the intel lan tool "eeupdate.exe" at least Version 15.
    On the net there's the V 5.0 only but it is too old for me.

Thank you all.

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Anybody? That looks like good tool to have...

sebus

17. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #19 sebus, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    These are the older versions, but thanks for trying

sebus

18. giak

giak MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    Hi!
    Anybody has a privileged account in Intel???