Internet Connection Sharing but disable internet access for the host

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kpedersen, Jul 30, 2016.

1. kpedersen

kpedersen MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of a crafty way to enable internet connection sharing (i.e so internet through my WiFi adapter is shared with my internal Hyper-V network whilst at the same time the host itself cannot access anything directly).

Basically I want my VM to be able to access the internet but I don't want Windows itself to. Hyper-V does not support WiFi connections thus the ICS hack :S.

Cheers :)

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    just google for "hyperv nat switch" or "hyperv nat network"

3. kpedersen

Jul 18, 2008
    #3 kpedersen, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    (OP)
    Hmm, I don't see why NAT would help me too much in keeping my host PC ignorant of the outside network.

Instead I did the following:

1) Using Windows firewall Block TCP and Block UDP for incoming
    2) Using Windows firewall Block TCP and Block UDP for outgoing
    3) Created an Internal Network using the Hyper-V Network Manager
    4) Bridged my Wireless Network interface adapter with the new Internal Network interface adapter

This way my VM running OpenBSD can access the outside network but the untrusted host operating system (Windows Server 2008 SP2) cannot access the outside network using UDP or TCP.

This method did require my Wireless hardware to support promiscuous mode but luckily most adapters that come with Thinkpads support this :)

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Sorry, I read your message too quickly and I got the question wrongly.:eek:

I thought you wanted to have the internet access to the VMs while keeping them isolated from the LAN (which is the most common question in that area)

Instead you wanted almost the opposite, hence my answer was just wrong for your question.

5. kpedersen

Jul 18, 2008
    Heh, no problem. Yeah I admit my problem is non-standard and a bit weird but I find it so annoying when an OS needs to connect to loads of random 3rd party servers as soon as it gets online. This isn't a Windows 10 thing, Windows has done this since Windows XP. Bad design I guess.

Hyper-V is nice though and a great way to solve the issue :)